Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Journey To The Well


In Review:   "Like the woman at the well, I was thirsting for things that would not satisfy."     Those are words to a hymn I grew up singing.     When I received this book I was fascinated to read this fictionalized story behind this woman at the well.    The story was rich with customs and heritage of the day which made this book very fascinating.    

I will admit that at one point in the book I literally put it down and was unsure if I would ever pick it up again.     As you may know, according to the laws of Jesus' day, if a woman's husband died and they did not have a son then her husband's brother was required to marry her.    When this happens to Marah her brother-in-law reveals to her that the reason he has never married is because he is a homosexual.     Obviously, I realize that homosexuality was addressed in the Bible because of God's explicit laws regarding it, but it totally caught me off guard.     I had to put the book down for about a week.    However, I was glad I picked the book back up.      Marah found what we ultimately all hope to find.    A face to face encounter with Jesus.



Book Summary:   She went to the well for water. What she found there would change her life forever.

Marah is a young girl in love with her childhood friend, Jesse. When she is forced to marry an older man, she must abandon her dreams of happiness. At the mercy of men who are often only interested in using her, Marah must fight for survival. Will she ever meet a man who can save her?

The story of the Samaritan woman at Jacob's well is one of hope, redemption, and a life changed in an instant through a remarkable encounter. Jesus told her "everything she'd ever done," but we are left to wonder at the circumstances that led her life on such a tragic path to begin with. Now from the creative mind of Diana Wallis Taylor comes the full story of the woman at the well.

This well-researched portrayal of a woman's life in the time of Jesus opens a window into a fascinating world. Taylor's rich descriptions of the landscapes, lifestyles, and rituals mesh easily with the emotional and very personal story of one woman who desperately seeks to rise above the difficult circumstances of her life. 

If you would like to read the first chapter of Journey To The Well, click HERE

3 comments:

K Storm said...

hmmm...I may need to read this one. Thanks

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

I am interested. Thanks for the review. I really do want to read this. Looks like I will be making a trip to the bookstore...or Amazon. I will check it you. Great review.

gary Simmons said...

Sounds like a good book. You see now why you should fisnish what you start.