Wednesday, September 22, 2010

TOS Review: Salem Ridge Press

Salem Ridge Press is a company which specializes in publishing wholesome books which you can purchase without any reservations or fear about the content.     Most of their books originally were printed in the 1800's and 1900s.      When Salem Ridge Press reprints their books they add great details such as timelines, maps and historical details to help add in the educational value of each book.

Salem Ridge Press sent me Out of the Mouth of the Lion along with two ebooks (Yussef the Guide and The Martyrs Victory) to review.    When I pulled this book out of the package my boys rolled their eyes and said, "Please tell us we don't have to read that."     That didn't get us off to a good start did it?   

I turned the book over and read the summary:

When Flaminius, a high Roman official, takes his wife, Flavia, to the Colosseum to see Christians thrown to the lions, he has no idea the effect it will have. Flavia cannot forget the faith of the martyrs, and finally, to protect her from complete disgrace or even danger, Flaminius requests a transfer to a more remote government post. As he and his family travel to the seven cities of Asia Minor mentioned in Revelation, he sees the various responses of the churches to persecution. His attitude toward the despised Christians begins to change, but does he dare forsake the gods of Rome and embrace the Lord Jesus Christ?    (You can read the entire first chapter of the book here.)

We are not studying the time period of 163-166 A.D. right now so it was hard to convince the boys to read this as part of school.   

I sat down and read this book during the evenings after the boys went to bed.      It had quite a few "flipper" pages.    A "flipper" is where I lose interest and flip to the next page.       The writing style was a little stiff or perhaps formal is the more appropriate word.      The story line was very excellent however and very worth the read. 

In all of the books (ebooks and hard copy), words with definitions for words that might be unfamiliar to the reader were included at the bottom of every page.    By far, I thought this was one of the best ideas I have ever seen.     What a natural way to expand a child's vocabulary!


To get my son's view on these books, we read the ebook, Yussuf the Guide, together.   It is the story of young Lawrence, an invalid, who convinces his guardians, Preston the Professor and Burne the Lawyer, to take him along on an archaeological expedition to Turkey. Yussuf their guide proves his worth time and time again as they face dangers from a murderous ship captain, poisonous snakes, sheer precipices, bands of robbers and more.     

I must admit we never finished.    The boys just did not enjoy this book and since it wasn't required reading for school I wasn't going to force them.     I thought about listing their complaints, but thought it would be better for you to form your own opinions.      You can read the first chapter of Yussuf here.    

I really admire Salem Ridge Press for their commitment to publishing good quality books the promote good morals and character, but at this point they just aren't a good fit for my boys.  

Disclaimer:  As part of the TOS Homeschool Review Crew, I did receive these books for free from Salem Ridge Press.  The fact that I received complimentary products does not guarantee a favorable review.  It does guarantee a review. A fair review. But I am not going to praise something unless I think it deserves the praise.  If I don't like it, you'll hear that.  And hopefully with enough detail as to why so you can decide for yourself if what I hate about it makes it perfect for your family. 

No comments: