Wednesday, September 1, 2010

TOS Review: Vantage Learning MY Access! Home Edition


Vantage Learning MY Access! Home Edition
$99.00
Supports up to 6 students

At the end of the last school year, I had put writing at the top of the curriculum items that I wanted to work on this year.     When I was sent the home edition of Vantage Learning's MY Access! as part of the TOS Crew review I was very excited.     Wanting my boys to learn good writing skills and knowing exactly the best method to teach them are different things.

I was able to register my boys separately with their own log-ins which meant I was able to customize their ages.    On their first log in I told them to pick an assignment from the "informative" category.      After choosing a topic they could either go into the course or straight into writing a draft.

My Little Guy enjoyed taking the writing course which allowed him to be a chief reporter in a newsroom.     There are activities to completing the training course.     It covers the thesis, hook statements, proper paragraphs, opening and closing statements.

Both boys expressed frustration at the number of times that Vantage Learning would kick them off while they were working.    I emailed customer support and they emailed me several suggestions for repairing the problem.     

After the boy's first draft of their assignment, Vantage Learning gives them an assessment score along with a checklist of things they can do to improve.      The next day the boys used this checklist to do their second revision.    They both really appreciated the "My Editor" feature which helped them see the punctuation and grammar errors in their paper.     After the second revision, they once again submitted it for an assessment score.      Although Big Guy was moving right along, my Little Guy was struggling in some of the things they were asking him to do.        My Access! made it easy for him to get a grasp on the concepts he was missing with their activities sections.     In the end, both boys ended up with papers that they were proud of having written.    

I love the fact that MyAccess grades for the boys.     This is something that is completely computer based and gives them the freedom to complete and achieve.

If you are interested in using MY Access! Home Edition in your homeschool, you can go here to order it.
My Access! Home Edition can be purchased in 12-month subscriptions for 1 parent and your choice of 3 students ($99.95) or 6 students ($129.95). A demonstration video is available to help parents decide if My Access! is right for your family.

Disclaimer:  As part of the TOS Homeschool Review Crew, I did receive this software for free from Vantage Learning.  The fact that I received complimentary products does not guarantee a favorable review.  It does guarantee a review. A fair review. But I am not going to praise something unless I think it deserves the praise.  If I don't like it, you'll hear that.  And hopefully with enough detail as to why so you can decide for yourself if what I hate about it makes it perfect for your family. 

4 comments:

One Mom said...

Good review. I'm a new follower!

The Japanese Redneck said...

That's great. Sounds like a very good product.

Tess said...

I'm so glad you included information about the writing course. I think the writing course with the Newsroom Reporter is great for the younger writers like my 11 year old.

Debra said...

Sounds like that is working great for your guys!! Good job!