Wednesday, October 27, 2010

TOS Review: PG Key

PG Key
Request A Free Trial
Buy for $49.99

While we have the computer in our family room and they are never on the computer when we are not around, I still worry about what may pop up or what may accidentally be found.    I have tried quite a few computer filters since my boys started using the computer almost ten year ago, but none of them have worked successfully.


The PG Key was created using input from a team of people that included experienced software professionals, law enforcement, education, the medical community and concerned parents.

PG Key Program Features and Functions:

• Simple, easy to use solution that any parent can use- Just plug it into the family or childs PC and immediately create a safer, supervised, kid friendly environment.
• A total solution that gives parents everything they need to follow the advice from experts.
• No annual fees required.
• Website blocking, filtering, access and time control, notifications – 10 essential parental controls are activated.
• Designed and endorsed by experts from law enforcement, education and children’s and family psychology.
• Works with Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7

When the PG Key arrived I installed in on my boy's computer.    After installation I handed the computer back over to my son to do his schoolwork.     His first question, "Mom, I can't go to this website.   It says it is blocked."    

I checked the settings on the PG Key and asked it not to block any websites except the ones I specified, but it still was blocking a LOT of websites including my own blog.      I asked my son to try to do something else.     Both of my boys said that the computer was running so much slower with the PG Key installed that they were getting frustrated.

By the end of the first day, I had emailed technical support of PG Key about 18 times trying to solve our problems with blocked websites as well as the problem that I could not get the program to uninstall.

Because of the fact that this is such a highly rated product, I am hoping that our experience was not typical.   However, this product was just not a good fit for our family. 

Disclosure: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments: