Monday, November 22, 2010

TOS Review: Bright Ideas Press

We love music.    When we start school in the morning we like to turn on some type of music in the background.    My youngest son calls it "smart music".     It is probably because we usually choose some type of classical music station.  

Loving music and having a true appreciation for the artists behind the music are two different things.     Music is a God-given gift and one that both of my boys possess.      I wanted them to be exposed to some of the great composers to see their lives, struggles and their dedication to develop the gifts that God gave them.   


A Young Scholar's Guide to Composers is a great curriculum to introduce students to the people behind the music.  

 Highlights of this Guide Include:

  • 32 Weekly Lessons
  • 26 Bios of Famous Composers
  • 6 Eras of Music Explained
  • Easy-to-Use Comparative Timeline
  • Easy-to-Use Maps
  • Composer Info-Cards & Game Directions
  • Note-taking Pages
  • Quizzes
  • Answer Keys
  • Listening Suggestions
  • Intricate Coloring Pages
  • Resource Books



In the morning, I would look up the suggested links for the music for the composer and play it while the boys did their warm up lessons.      This allowed them to listen without having to sit still and listen.    After their warm-ups we would gather to read together about the composer.     There are great note taking pages provided which helped the boys stay engaged and also helped them practice those vital skills.     Not all the time, but occasionally I would give them the quizzes just to see how much they were retaining and to see if we needed to adjust how we were doing this book.   

Although we still have quite a few composers to go, as this is a 35-week curriculum, we are definitely adding this into the "win" category for us!

To purchase your A Young Scholar's Guide to Composers (recommended for grades 4-8) for just $29.95 for the CD-ROM version or $34.95 for paperback, you can do so here.

Disclosure: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

1 comment:

The Japanese Redneck said...

You are lucky that they are musically inclined. I'm not and wish that I was....