Wednesday, November 10, 2010

TOS Review: The Write Foundation

Teaching my boys how to write is something that is a high priority for me.    I have often wondered what method my teachers used to teach us because I know that when I graduated I had a firm grasp on how to sit down, organize my thoughts and write a very complete paper.     In the twenty something years since I have graduated, it has become very apparent that not every student has this advantage.    Just last Wednesday evening at church a man about my age said he graduated having never writing a paper at all.    My own husband said he can't ever remember writing a paper for a class either.  

While you aren't required to write many twenty page papers in your lifetime, we certainly do a lot of communicating through emails, texting, notes and other written forms.     How well you are able to write (or not able to) reflects a lot on you which is why it is such a high priority in our homeschool.  


The Write Foundation  offers a very creative, but structured way to teach writing.   
There are three writing levels to choose from based on where your student's needs may be.

Start at the Sentence to Paragraph Writing Level 1:

*  If your student has any run ons or incomplete sentences when he writes on his own.
* If your student hates writing.
* If your student primarily writes simple sentences.

Start at the Paragraph Writing Level 2:

*  If your student understands the writing process of basic brainstorm, outline, rough draft, edit, final copy.
*  If your student usually writes descriptive sentences, which includes adjectives, adverbs and participles.
*  If your student can follow directions.

Start at the Essay Writing Level 3:

* If your student understands and knows how to effectively use the writing process of brainstorm, outline, rough draft, edit, final copy.
* If your student knows how to write a proper, standard outline for a 3-4 paragraph paper.
* If your student uses a variety of words and minimizes repetition.
*  If your student has been introduced to transitions.
* If your student is familiar with basic figures of speech.
* If your student is familiar with writing in third person only.

We decided to start at Level 2 as my Little Guy was ready for this level and my Big Guy could use some polishing in this level.       The Write Foundation immediately won big bonus points as they used Mind Benders are part of their lessons.    My boys both love Mind Benders and thought that if they helped you write then this was the writing program for them.

As you can see in this sample lesson, a lot of emphasis is put on helping students expand their sentence structure vocabulary through alliteration.      This is something that we have been working on up to the point we started The Write Foundation, so this was great reinforcement and something that did not seem like work to them.

The highlight of trying out this program was seeing the lightbulb go on when working on the block outline for a paper we have been working on for history.     My son said, "It all makes sense!"  

I am anxious to build on what we have started and see if we can develop their writing into a true skill.

Sentence to Paragraph Writing Curriculum  is available in 3 different packages:



Curriculum Package 1: Sentence to Paragraph Complete Lessons 1-30  $100 + tax and/or shipping

            Spiral Instruction Manuals Lessons 1 – 15 & Lessons 16 – 30

            Student Worksheets Full Set Lessons 1 – 30

            Sentence to Paragraph Additional Resources CD

Complete Curriculum Package 1: Sentence to Paragraph Lessons 1-30
  

Curriculum Package 2: Sentence to Paragraph Lessons 1-15   $65 +  tax and/or shipping.

            Spiral Instruction Manual Lessons 1 – 15

            Student Worksheets Lessons 1 – 15
            Sentence to Paragraph Additional Resources CD  

Curriculum Package 2: Sentence to Paragraph Lessons 1-15
   
Curriculum Package 3: Sentence to Paragraph Lessons 16-30  $65 + tax and/or shipping.
            Spiral Instruction Manual Lessons 16 – 30
            Student Worksheets Lessons 16 – 30
            Sentence to Paragraph Additional Resources CD
Curriculum Package 3: Sentence to Paragraph Lessons 16-30 
The Sentence to Paragraph instruction manuals are also available separately for $75 for Lessons 1-30 or $40 each for Lessons 1-15 or 16-30 + tax and/or shipping.
Instruction Manuals Only Sentence to Paragraph Lessons 1-30
Instruction Manual Only Sentence to Paragraph Lessons 1-15
Instruction Manual Only Sentence to Paragraph Lessons 16-30

The Sentence to Paragraph Additional Resources CD is also available separately for $15 + tax and/or shipping.
Sentence to Paragraph Additional Resources CD

Disclosure: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

5 comments:

Taylor & Krisa said...

One of the greatest skills I acquired from high school was the ability to sit down and pound out a paper! My high school English teacher used to make us come in and do 30-minute essays. Stuck with me and has been a very valuable skill! Good for you for starting early.

THE OLD GEEZER said...

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You :-)

~Ron

Debra said...

Great review, Deanna. I'm so glad this has been working for you! My boys adore the Mind Benders too :)

Patti Lacy said...

Now THIS sounds Old SCHOOL...and effective!!!

I see many young writers who have not learned THE BASICS.

This program might help!!!

Miss ya at my place!
Patti

alecat said...

I really enjoyed reading this!
We had success with the same program here. :)