Friday, December 17, 2010

TOS Review: Tiny Planets

One rainy afternoon I told my Little Guy that I had a new website I wanted him to play on for a little while.  
 This website had been sent to me by our TOS Homeschool Review, but I didn't want him to know that.   I just wanted him to try it out and get his honest opinion.


Tiny Planets is a website that provides "award-winning educational entertainment set in space exploration and discovery, inspiring creativity and critical thinking in youth ages 4 to 12."

When I glanced at Tiny Planets before asking Little Guy to start playing I immediately noticed to silly looking aliens, which the website called Bing and Bong.    Bing and Bong are your child's hosts for their space adventure.     On the homepage there are six different planets to explore:    Tiny Planets, Tiny Planet Labs, Tiny Planet Books, Tiny Planets TV, Tiny Planets Fun, and Tiny Planets Learning.

I really appreciate the fact that Tiny Planets is certified with the ICRA (a part of Family Online Safety Institute) as well as Connect Safely Online.    You can play Tiny Planets for free, but they definitely try to entice your kids with KEYS which unlocks bigger and better levels.   

So back to Little Guy's playing time....

About thirty minutes after he logged in I heard him giggle and say, "Mom, if this is supposed to be educational then I would be happy to do it every day."      He enjoyed just sitting and having fun on a rainy day.

Disclaimer:  As part of the TOS Homeschool Review Crew, I did receive this book for free from Tiny Planets.com.  The fact that I received complimentary products does not guarantee a favorable review.  It does guarantee a review. A fair review. But I am not going to praise something unless I think it deserves the praise.  If I don't like it, you'll hear that.  And hopefully with enough detail as to why so you can decide for yourself if what I hate about it makes it perfect for your family.   

2 comments:

Cheryl Henderson said...

Thanks to you and "Little Guy" for taking the time to review our website.

"Little Guy" might enjoy the experiments found on our blog www.tinyplanetsblog.com. Every week we post new experiments, space facts and more.

Cheryl
Community Manager
Tiny Planets Limited

Cheryl said...

Hi. Just wanted to thank you again for reviewing the site. I wanted to let you know that on April 4th the new and improved site was launched. I'd love to hear any thoughts you might have, especially since some of the changes were made because of the Crew's suggestions. You can check us out at www.tinyplanets.com. You can reach me at cheryl@mytinyplanets.com.

Thanks!
Cheryl