Monday, February 21, 2011

Save The Date

You’re invited to the engagement of the most unlikely couple of the year.

When the funding for Lucy’s non-profit job is pulled, she is determined to find out why. Enter Alex Sinclair, former professional football star and heir of Sinclair Enterprises—the primary donor to Lucy’s Saving Grace organization. Alex Sinclair has it all . . . except for the votes he needs to win his bid for Congress. Both Lucy and Alex have something the other wants. Despite their mutual dislike, Alex makes Lucy a proposition: pose as his fiancée in return for the money she desperately needs. Bound to a man who isn’t quite what he seems, Lucy finds her heart – and her future – on the line.


Save the Date is a spunky romance that will have readers laughing out loud as this dubious pair try to save their careers, their dreams . . . and maybe even a date.


If you would like to read the first chapter of Save The Date, go HERE

Book Review

The week I was reading this book I was simultaneously studying a Sunday School lesson for my middle school students on temptation.     Coincidence?   Definitely not.     



On one side of this story is Lucy Wiltshire, a young woman whose ministry and life's work is a non-profit mission for girls who have aged out of the foster system.     Lucy is desperate because her mission is almost depleted of its funds which means that they will have to close.    Making things even more desperate are a group of people who think that the property on which the mission sits would make great commercial property.  



On the other side of this story is Alex Sinclair.     He is used to getting his way as a professional football player and local "hero".     However, now he is running for a seat in Congress.     It is not out of desire, but out of a feeling of responsibility.     He has hit a snag that he has never hit before... he needs help with his popularity votes.

When a chance encounter in public sees a drastic rise in his popularity polls, Alex proposes a mutually beneficial situation to Lucy.     He asks her to pose as his fiance and wife and he will guarantee the safety of her girl's home.

Is this a great premise for a story?   Yes.   Is Jenny Jones an incredible author and easy to read?    Yes.     Was it frustrating to me to read something that is supposed published in the genre of Christian fiction that I couldn't feel good about handing to one of my students to read?    YES!

Lying.  Deception.   Heartbreak.    Loss.   Pain.   All handled so poorly by Alex and Lucy.   These characters were portrayed as Christians, but really?  No Christian is perfect and shouldn't be portrayed as such, but these were just portrayed so far from what I would have expected.   Lucy has Christian friends, one among them is a pastor, but yet none of them give her the wise godly counsel that is needed.



When you watch television it seems that a gay person is required in every show.     I don't appreciate that being the case in my books and especially not in my Christian fiction genre.     Especially if there is no redeeming quality in the character being there.     Julian was the gay character in this book and I am not sure why his sexual orientation had to be a factor.

Jenny Jones is talented writer in every sense of the word, but misses the mark in so many ways when it comes to writing something that fits in the Christian fiction genre.

6 comments:

Jenny B. Jones said...

Thanks for the honest and interesting review.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

I agree, I like an honest review. And I'm with you, I don't like gays portrayed in Christian fiction. In fact, we used to love to watch Amazing Race on TV, but we stopped when they kept forcing gay couples/parents/etc down our throats. I don't choose to watch tv or movies or read books with that lifestyle portrayed in it.

Joy Tamsin David said...

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear you didn't like it.

I have to disagree with one of Stacy's points, I don't think the gay *lifestyle* was portrayed in this book at all.

I thought Julian was definitely a Christian. *Possibly* one that had just left homosexuality, though it's never actually stated he was gay.

But I thought it was clear from his actions and words that he was newly saved.

LovinAnElevator said...

Thanks to anyone who chooses to stand by what they believe in when choosing their books, tv, and movies. Hidden messages are everywhere...

Serena said...

Wow. Your honesty is to be commended, but I must respectfully disagree with your criticism of this novel. Was Julian a pretty femmy new Christian? YES. But I'm pretty sure even men who are in touch with their inner fashionista can come to Jesus without losing their ability to accessorize the snot out of an outfit. Julian's actions and position of Christian accountability in relation to other characters seemed to portray a man seeking after God's heart -- and a quality facial. That being said: Jenny never outed Julian or labeled him as actively gay or even formerly gay.

**cue can of worms opening...***

So much is in the eye of the beholder and the life experience that informs our reading. It was brave of you to post honestly, Deanna and I... disagree. I would have no problem at all letting a mature teen read this novel.

Andi said...

Here is my .02 As a follower of Christ, how do we expect to reach others for Him if we don't touch the "hot" buttons? I mean, if as Christ followers we think that homosexuality went away with Sodom and Gomorrah then we're living in a cave. It's been around for centuries. I have a child who has chosen this lifestyle, am I suppose to shun her, I think not! How do we reach Christian parents who are dealing with these issues if we don't write about them?

I applaud Jenny B. Jones for having a character in her novel that is gay. More and more Christian families are having to deal with children "coming" out and I would've loved to have had a Christian novel with a gay storyline, it would have helped me wade through the dark valley. I felt completely alone!