Friday, March 25, 2011

TOS Review: Big IQ Kids

We were offered the chance to review an e-learning site called BigIQkids.com.     BigIQkids.com offers FREE spelling, math, vocabulary, U.S. states and spelling game programs.

Their award winning programs are designed for students in grades K-8th and promote skills that every student needs to develop:   spelling efficiency, vocabulary, math fact mastery and US geography knowledge.  






Some of the things I LOVED about Big IQ Kids...


This was so easy to add into our daily routine.   Since each lesson only took about 10 minutes, it was a good brain wake up! 

Spelling: While there was already a preloaded spelling lesson program, you could enter your spelling words for the week and Big IQ would automatically create a week's worth of games, lessons and quizzes around those words.   That is like having a teacher assistant!!

Math: You can set up the lessons to mirror what they are doing in their regular lessons.  For example, Little Guy is working on multiplying decimals in his math so I chose that to work on in his math section.

Vocabulary:   I am kind of a freak about SAT prep words.    Big IQ's vocabulary is nothing but SAT prep words.    Love that!    However, just like spelling, you can enter your own vocabulary words.

U.S. States:    We happen to be doing an 50 states study this year so I liked that this gave me the option to add even more facts that we are learning to what they already had listed.

It emailed me after Little Guy mastered lessons   Loved that too!

What Little Guy LOVED about BIG IQ Kids...

"Mom asked me to do this in the mornings before we started our daily routine.    I was a lot of fun to do these activities.   I could earn coins to play games.    Sometimes I could play extra math or vocabulary games just to get extra coins.   I really liked the geography section.   There was a lot of neat information in there."



Sometimes when Little Guy was working on the website, the pings and robotic voices would get on my nerves... a LOT!    However, they never seem to phase Little Guy at all.    I just solved that by asking him to put in his earbuds.    


There are different pricing packages for a  Premium Membership for Big IQ Kids that range from $19.99 per month to $99.99 for 12 months.  You can also choose to purchase a membership to the individual subjects offered, as low as $7.99 per month for each subject.  You can learn more about the pricing options here. You also have the option of starting out with a Free Membership, and upgrading later to Premium, if desired.


Disclaimer:  As part of TOS Review, I did receive this online subscription for free from BIG IQ Kids.  The fact that I received complimentary products does not guarantee a favorable review.  It does guarantee a review. A fair review. But I am not going to praise something unless I think it deserves the praise.  If I don't like it, you'll hear that.  And hopefully with enough detail as to why so you can decide for yourself if what I hate about it makes it perfect for your family.



No comments: