Tuesday, March 15, 2011

TOS Review: Who Is God?

Apologia sent me book one of their "What We Believe" series called "Who Is God?".

"Who Is God?" introduces the concept of worldview while laying the foundational truths upon which the evangelical Christian worldview is built: God is truth and He reveals His truth to people; He is the one true and almighty God; He is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit; He created everything; we are God’s children and are made to love and to praise Him; God meets all our needs; sin keeps us from God; and Jesus is the only way to God.


The book includes ten lessons.   These ten lessons are:
  1. Where am I building my life?
  2. How can I know what's true?
  3. What is God like? (part 1)
  4. What is God like? (part 2)
  5. Who are the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost?
  6. If God created the world, why isn't it perfect?
  7. Why did God create me?
  8. Will God meet all my needs?
  9. Why does sin keep me from knowing God?
  10. Is Jesus the only way to God?
To view the complete Table of Contents, click here.


The first lesson (which you can read here:  Lesson 1 ) focuses on "Where Am I Building My Life?"   Like the song we learned in Sunday School, the lesson is about building your life on the solid rock instead of sinking sand.    I really appreciated that in addition to being Biblical sound, the lesson incorporated vocabulary, memory verses, notebooking, science, history and prayer prompts.     What a well rounded lesson!

These lessons are very easy to read.   So easy in fact that each of us who have picked up the book have started reading and just kept going.    That wasn't my intention for the way I was going to use the book.   I intended to use it during our family devotions at night, but we have all enjoyed just picking it up and reading it at our own pace and then discussing it.    

One of the things that we have been teaching our boys since they were tiny is "know what you know and why you know it".     A series like "Who is God?" is an amazing way to help reinforce the "knowing what you know and why you know it" concepts in your family.

If you would like to purchase a copy of this book, you can order a copy for Apologia for $39.00.

Disclaimer:  As part of the TOS Review Group, I did receive this book for free from Apologia.  The fact that I received complimentary products does not guarantee a favorable review.  It does guarantee a review. A fair review. But I am not going to praise something unless I think it deserves the praise.  If I don't like it, you'll hear that.  And hopefully with enough detail as to why so you can decide for yourself if what I hate about it makes it perfect for your family.

1 comment:

Very Blessed Mamma said...

This sounds like a great book. I can't wait to get it!

I am stopping by from the Blog Walk. I am way behind, and trying to catch up.

I was going to follow you but do not see a follow button.

Please feel free to follow me back.

Great review!