Friday, April 1, 2011

TOS Review: Zeezok

Zeezok Publishing allowed me to pick one of their movie guides to review.   They had so many movies to choose from that I wasn't sure how I was going to narrow it down.     We went and made a list of movies that the boys were interested in seeing.     Our first list consisted of:

Flyboys
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
My Side of the Mountain
Sargeant York
The Hiding Place

In the end they decided they wanted to watch Flyboys.    Flyboys is inspired by the true story of the legendary Lafayette Escadrille and this action-packed epic tells the tale of America’s first fighter pilots. These courageous young men distinguish themselves in a manner that none before them had dared, becoming true heroes who experience triumph, tragedy, love, and loss amid the chaos of World War I.

We had just finished a week of standardized testing so I knew that the boys were not going to be ready to dive straight back into our full routine.    I had saved this movie and movie guide for just this time.    

They were so excited when I announced that we would be piling up in the living room for a pajama day with popcorn and a movie.     After settling down with our snacks, I read the historical background that was included with the Flyboys movie guide.       The topics which were addressed in this movie and movie guide are World War I, facing death, racial prejudice and aeronautics.    That is a lot to discuss!

Other than one small scene in the beginning of the movie (a brief scene in a brothel which we fast forwarded through), we all LOVED the movie a lot.    After the movie, I used the guide to discuss what we had watched.

The movie guide that Zeezok provides is awesome.   They provided ten different activities to be used and a Five Day plan for incorporating it into our homeschool week.

Day 1
Read Movie Synopsis
Activity 1: Movie Review Questions
Activity 2: More About the Lafayette Escadrille

Day 2
Activity 3:  World War 1 Map
Activity 4:  More on the Nieuport Airport flown by the Lafayette Escadrille

Day 3
Activity 5:  Do you have courage to be a World War I pilot?
Activity 6:  Crossword Puzzle

Day 4
Activity 7:  Recruitment Poster for the Lafayette Escadrille
Activity 8:  The Dirigible as a Weapon of War

Day 5
Activity 9:  Worldview
Activity 10:  The Filmaker's Art

Brilliant!!    When my boys were still attending public school, one of my pet peeves was that teachers would use movies to babysit them on days when it was raining.    I hated that they watched movies at all while at school.     I now have this urge to take this movie guide to the school to show them that if they are going to show movies that there are good quality EDUCATIONAL options they can incorporate into their day.   

My boys and I really enjoyed both the movie and the movie guide from Zeezok.   We are now trying to decide which one we will use next.      Actually we are arguing over which one.     We can't decide between Sargent York (another WWI) or Amazing Grace (the story of William Wilbeforce).   

Whether you homeschool or are looking for some great summer bridge activities, pick out a movie guide from Zeezok.   

Disclaimer:  As part of TOS Review, I did receive this online subscription for free from Zeezok Publishing.  The fact that I received complimentary products does not guarantee a favorable review.  It does guarantee a review. A fair review. But I am not going to praise something unless I think it deserves the praise.  If I don't like it, you'll hear that.  And hopefully with enough detail as to why so you can decide for yourself if what I hate about it makes it perfect for your family.

No comments: