Thursday, June 9, 2011

My Foolish Heart

Unknown to her tiny town of Deep Haven, Isadora Presley spends her nights as Miss Foolish Heart, the star host of a syndicated talk radio show. Millions tune in to hear her advice on dating and falling in love, unaware that she’s never really done either. Issy’s ratings soar when it seems she’s falling in love on-air with a caller. A caller she doesn’t realize lives right next door.

Caleb Knight served a tour of duty in Iraq and paid a steep price. The last thing he wants is pity, so he hides his disability and moves to Deep Haven to land his dream job as the high school football coach. When his beautiful neighbor catches his eye, in a moment of desperation he seeks advice from My Foolish Heart, the show that airs before his favorite sports broadcast.

Before he knows it, Caleb finds himself drawn to the host—and more confused than ever. Is his perfect love the woman on the radio . . . or the one next door?

Read Chapter 1 Here!!

Visit Susan May Warren's Website

Book Review

I am a huge Susan May Warren fan.    I love her style of writing.   It is real and realistic.    I hate picking favorites because I know books are like babies to authors.   However, this one is going at the top of my list among her "babies".

I immediately connected with Isadora Presley.   She is a young woman who hosts a radio show from her home.    Was that her chosen profession?   No, but something happened that caused her to have such intense panic attacks that now she can't leave a well defined boundary in her town.     If you have never experienced panic attacks, then it would be hard for you to relate to what this is like.    I experienced severe panic attacks after my first son was born.   I know what it is like to live in that little bubble.

Fortunately for  me I had a Caleb.   Caleb in the book moves back to town to apply for the position as coach of the local high school football team.     He tries to do this without revealing the injuries he suffered in Iraq.     He doesn't suffer from panic attacks, but he has definitely surrounded himself with his own bubble.

There are many other characters who have all placed boundaries around themselves to protect themselves.    Each page explores more and more about relationships and what it means to put our trust in God and in others in a healthy way.

For those of you who know me well, you know what a cover art freak I am.   I think that cover art sets the tone for the entire book.    Because I read four of five books at a time, I use a book cover to remind me of the story line before I dive back into the book.  The cover art on this book was a little too vague.    I would like to have seen it be a little more "foreshadowing" as to the story line.

Thanks so much to LitFuse for providing me with a free copy to read so I could write this review!

1 comment:

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

I've really enjoyed the Susan May Warren books I've read too :) I want to read this whole series, is this the third in the Deep Haven trilogy?

Hope you guys are having a great summer! :)