Saturday, May 26, 2012

Summer Reading

I love summer reading.   Nothing takes the fun out of summer more than "required" summer reading.   I hate seeing those stacks and stacks of lists that schools require kids to read over the summer.   I love to read and I have no desire to read some of those.  

There is so much that the boys are required to read during the school year that I just want to encourage them to read for pure love during the summer.    If I can create a lifetime love of reading in them then I will feel like I have accomplished something.

Here are a few summer reading programs which will reward the kids for their reading efforts.... 

Madison County Library System - Our local library system theme is "Dream Big... Read!"   I am not a fan of their reading program because it doesn't reward everyone who reads.  It only gives you a chance at a reward.   The reward is great -- a NOOK, but I prefer rewarding every child who reads instead of just one.

Barnes & Noble - Read any 8 books and record them in the Reading Journal (PDF).Bring the completed Reading Journal to your local B&N store. Choose a FREE BOOK from the selection on the Reading Journal list at the store... Enjoy reading!

Scholastic Summer Reading - Log in your reading minutes to the Scholastic site and your child will be able to participate in a World Record challenge as well as earn digital prizes!

Half Price Books - Read for at least 15 minutes each day for a month. (Grown-ups may read aloud to kids who are still learning.) Add up your minutes and have your parent or guardian initial each week.Once you've read 300 minutes, turn in your completed reading log PDF to earn your $5 HPB Back-to-School Bucks reading reward for the month.  They will award one top reader per age group each month with a TOP READER prize - a $20 HPB Gift Card!*


Happy Reading!!

No comments: