Monday, January 5, 2015

Emotional Eating

The smell of our supper cooking is wafting through the house.  We are not having a complex supper.  I threw together a sausage and cheese quiche.   Somehow the smells give me such a feeling of comfort.    In a lot of ways I hope that they do the same for my boys.  Or do I?  

I have known for a long time that I am an emotional eater.  When I was little my favorite time of day was when my Daddy arrived home in the afternoon to eat supper.   He worked two jobs for most of my childhood.  However, everyday at 4:30 he would arrive home and we would eat supper as a family before he would leave for his second job.   I loved that time.    Laughing, talking, eating.   I guess subconsciously I associated the smell of supper cooking with the soon arrival of Daddy.   

Because of my lifetime association of food with such a wide range of emotions (happiness, anger, depression and frustration), I have come to accept that I am going to have to be more intentional with both my emotions and food choices.  

I mentioned this to someone in my family and they said, "You are going on a diet?"  No.  I simply want God in control of my emotions instead of letting my emotions controlling my eating.  

Why am I writing all this on my blog? Because I feel like getting it out of my thoughts and writing it down will make it "real".    So there you go.... it is now real.  

1 comment:

Erin said...

You got this. Rather, HE has this! HE knows your struggles. My word for 2014 was intentional and boy was I!! Good luck!