Wednesday, October 13, 2010

City On Our Knees


When we step across the line we can sail across the sea

Amazing, beautiful things happen when people have the courage to live, work, and pray in the spirit of unity and peace. Often, though, to make these amazing things happen, we have to step out of our comfort zone and into a world we find uncomfortable or intimidating. Sometimes that world is physical; other times it can be emotional, relational, or spiritual.

City on Our Knees shows this, encouraging you to take the first step. It offers stories of people who have stepped across lines. Lines of discrimination, persecution, doubt, prejudice, pride, bitterness, self-isolation, and despair. I pray and hope that you will be inspired to see how just one person, or one small group, can be a mechanism for change.

God can use us right here. Right now. All we need is faith that He has our best in mind. And believe me—He does.

Book Review

Before you read anything anyone has to say about this book, I highly recommend you go and read this excerpt from City On Our Knees.     Does that not take your breath away?    Does it leave your challenged or overhelmed?    My boys are fans of TobyMac's music, but after reading this book I have a great admiration for the devotion that drives the heart beat of his ministry and his day to day life.    

However, this book is NOT about TobyMac.  It is very much like the excerpt you just read.    It is the accounts of people who have been willing to be a "city on their knees".   

If you have heard the song upon which this book is entitled then you know this line, "If we gotta start somewhere why not here?"     Why not here indeed, Toby!  

TobyMac punctuates his book with an incredible amount of Scripture which makes this book such a worshipful read.     I can't wait for both of my boys to read this book. 

1 comment:

Debra said...

I've been avoiding your blog because I didn't want to read this review before I at least started reading the book! You do have me inspired to read faster now! :)

And... you've been tagged. Participate if you want, I'd love to read your responses.

http://debrakb.blogspot.com/2010/10/ive-been-tagged-couple-of-times.html