Saturday, December 25, 2010

Radical

Radical

Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream

Written by David Platt

Waterbrook Multnomah



WHAT IS JESUS WORTH TO YOU?

It's easy for American Christians to forget how Jesus said his followers would actually live, what their new lifestyle would actually look like. They would, he said, leave behind security, money, convenience, even family for him. They would abandon everything for the gospel. They would take up their crosses daily...

BUT WHO DO YOU KNOW WHO LIVES LIKE THAT? DO YOU?

In Radical, David Platt challenges you to consider with an open heart how we have manipulated the gospel to fit our cultural preferences. He shows what Jesus actually said about being his disciple--then invites you to believe and obey what you have heard. And he tells the dramatic story of what is happening as a "successful" suburban church decides to get serious about the gospel according to Jesus.

Finally, he urges you to join in The Radical Experiment --a one-year journey in authentic discipleship that will transform how you live in a world that desperately needs the Good News Jesus came to bring.

Read Chapter 1

Book Review

I am very skeptical about books that run away as best sellers in the Christian community.      In general, I never buy or read them because my skepticism runs so deep.     However, this book keeps popping up all around me so I decided that I wanted to read it and form my own opinion.

You can't help but feel Platt's passion for Christ just pouring off the pages.    It is contagious.    There are some things in this book on which Platt and I definitely agree:
1.   We are way too busy pursing the "American dream" instead of Jesus.
2.    Churches have conformed to the world and tried to make the world more comfortable in the church instead of making the church a lighthouse.    
3.   Megachurches aren't impressive.  People don't flock to do hard things and following Jesus is definitely not the easy path to take in life.  
4.    Churches worry too much about their building programs and not enough about building the kingdom.    One of his examples is a church who had a new multi-million dollar sanctuary, but could only raise $5,000 for starving orphans in Ethiopia.    

However, there are some areas in Platt's book that I am not sure if I would say I disagree or just raised some concerns for me.     But here they are:
1.    Guilt is one of my least favorite methods of convincing someone to do or not do something.     I don't remember Jesus trying to guilt people into following Him either.      Platt's endless stories meant to guilt readers into be more "radical" was a turn off for me.  
2.    Platt's book is full of things we are to do.    There are a lot of do's.    Almost checklist like.    I wish Platt would have spent more time pointing out all God has done for us.    His everlasting mercy and we actually can do nothing  to deserve his grace and mercy.    God doesn't need us at all.    We need Him!

In the end, one of the best lessons of Radical is that our treasures are to be laid up in heaven, not here on earth where they can rot, be destroyed or stolen. 

Disclaimer:  I did receive this book for free from Waterbrook Multnomah.  The fact that I received complimentary products does not guarantee a favorable review.  It does guarantee a review. A fair review. But I am not going to praise something unless I think it deserves the praise.  If I don't like it, you'll hear that.  And hopefully with enough detail as to why so you can decide for yourself if what I hate about it makes it perfect for your family.

No comments: