Friday, October 10, 2014

Blue Cards and Forgiveness

I am going to physical therapy three times a week for my feet.   If it isn't one thing it is another, you know? 

Anyway, physical therapy lasts about an hour and while they are working on my feet I usually chat with the people around me or the therapists working.    I have had some great talks.   It amazes me that every moment of every day is a mission field. 

Today, a woman who works in another department, came in.   She needed to talk with my therapist, but stood around to chat.   Someone asked her if she were married.   She responded by saying, "I have done that once, but never again.   I just play around and save up my blue cards for Sunday."   I had no idea what she meant so I asked her.  

"Oh I just write my sins on the blue cards and turn them in."  

I was surprised.   I was also curious.  I asked her what church she went to and she told me.   After a little more discussion I discovered that the "blue" card was pretty much a prayer request card, but apparently one slot said "do you want to be forgiven of your sins?"  

I asked her if she felt turning in her blue card gave her forgiveness of her sins.    She wasn't sure.   In fact, she said right now she was so determined to sin that she was "saving them up" until she was ready to turn them all in at one time.  

I wish I could tell you that we had a great coming to Jesus moment together.   We didn't. However, we did have some great time of discussion.  I tried to just listen to her and tell her that God was such a forgiving God.   He didn't care about blue cards.  He just cared about our heart.  

I had to walk around for another part of my therapy, but when I came back she was waiting.   She told me goodbye and thank you.  

I hope I get to see her again.  I hope I get the chance to talk, but if not I pray God continues to whisper in her ear that He loves her and that He is there to offer forgiveness willingly.  

No comments: