Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Shock and Devastation

On Saturday morning, I woke up to the news that a childhood friend had not only lost her home, but her children in an nighttime fire.    I felt like the wind had been knocked out of me.   

Trey and Jennifer woke up to their home totally engulfed in flames.    Trey, an assistant fire chief, grabbed his radio off the nightstand and called his fire station frantically to let them know that his own house was on fire.    Immediately he put his fire training to use and kicked out the air conditioner unit in their bedroom to get Jennifer to safety.     He began to crawl to get to the rooms of his 22 month old and 4 year old sons: Tyler and Hadyn.     Unfortunately, the smoke was so thick and the flames so overwhelming that it was already too late.   Sweet Tyler and Hadyn had already died due to smoke inhalation.

Fire and police units from around the county arrived just 3 minutes after Trey called in to his own fire house.    When they arrived they said smoke and flames are coming from every window.

Today at 1:00, Trey and Jennifer have to face the awful nightmare of burying their two precious boys.     I can't wrap my mind around it.    

I know I don't even have to ask you to be surrounding them with prayer today.    They are going to need every ounce of strength they can get to make it through today, and even worse, the days ahead without their precious boys.

15 comments:

Dr. Wifey said...

what a tragedy. prayers for that family

Carrie said...

Oh my gosh! I am so sad! I'll be praying for them!

From the Doghouse said...

I cannot even imagine. I know you'll be the friend they need right now.

Allison said...

My heart absolutely ACHES for this family. I will lift them in prayer right now.

i'm black betty said...

oh.my.gosh. i could not imagine the pain they are suffering. many prayers will be said for this family. i am so very sorry.

K Storm said...

Some things just don't make sense. Praying for this family in their tragedy.

What?! said...

I have heard and read about this and even hearing about it never gets easier. My heart breaks for them. I'm keeping them in my heart and prayers.

crittyjoy said...

I have been praying for this family since your tweet this weekend and will continue to pray. What a hard day for them today. I will be praying every chance I get.

Kayra said...

How awful. I cannot imagine going through something like that.

Dante Hicks said...

I wonder if they had working smoke detectors in the house.

Deanna said...

Trey is the assistant fire chief. They most definitely had smoke detectors. Unfortunately smoke has a sedating effect on you and can make it very hard to wake up.

Deanna said...

Mr. Hicks, I somewhat an offended by such an insensitive question on the day that we, as friends, are grieving such a horrible loss.

WandaM;) said...

We can not imagine what these parents feel and my prayers are with them. Mr. Hicks - I'm sure you meant no harm in your question but what a time to ask it! I am sure they had detectors - when you live in a mobile home, fire spreads very quickly and if it is the "mother-in-law" plan, with small children in the other end of the house well..........you get the idea. Everyone please continue to pray for this young couple in the days ahead - it will be especially hard on their father just because he is a fireman.

HEATHER said...

This is so heartbreaking. Especially to be a fireman and not be able to save your own kids is particularly cruel. Will add them to my prayers.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

So sad and so sorry to read this. I had read your updates over the weekend about the situation. Thank you for sharing the rest of the story. I will be praying for them.