Friday, November 6, 2009

Linky Love: Audio Books

When Big Guy was little he wanted me to read to him every night. We had been reading every night since he had been born. It was my favorite time of the day. When he got to be about two years ago he started crying when it was time for me to read the last book because he knew it meant I was going to be leaving soon. He would try to beg me to stay and sleep with him for just a little while. I began to pray for a solution to the problem. Soon I believe the Lord gave me the idea to start a new routine that included an audiobook.

One afternoon while Big Guy was napping, I recorded two of his favorite books on tape for him. That night at bedtime I read him his regular two books and when it got time for his third book I told him that he was going to get to have two more books. I also told him that I was going to read them to him in a special way. And I gave him his books and his two books. I turned on his tape and he heard my voice say, "Hey, Todd!" The tape told him when to turn the pages and when to change books. It also told him when the books were over that his water cup was on his nightstand and when he was finished he could either turn off the light or just go to sleep with it on. I told him to leave me an extra kiss on the pillow -- always has been one of our routines -- and sleep tight. That night started not only a new bedtime routine but a love of audio books.

He would listen to the same couple of books for about a week and then I would record new ones. About a week ago he found a set of those tapes in his closet and he said, "Mom, I listened to those and they made me cry. I am keeping those forever."

Audio Books for Free

Free Classic Audiobooks
(Pilgrim's Progress, Treasure Island, White Fang...
we've used lots of great ones from here!)

Internet Archive
These are OLD archives: Dragnet, CBS Mystery Theater, etc...
Oldies, but some real goodies!

Learn Out Loud
Called a one stop destination for audio and video learning.
This directory features free audio books, lectures, speeches, sermons, interviews, and many other great free audio and video resources.

Open Culture
This guy searches the web for the best cultural and educational media.
We have used The Red Bad of Courage, Robinson Crusoe, and
Walt Whitman's "O Captain! My Captain!"

Project Gutenberg

3 comments:

Dr. Wifey said...

what an AWESOME idea!

you know the saying that there is no book on parenting?? well, you should write one! for real

love ya :)

Allison said...

Audiobooks are AWESOME! I loved them when I was a kid and Mini-me really enjoys them as well.

In the Dog House said...

You are an amazingly wonderful mom.