Wednesday, October 8, 2008

WFMW: Sneak & Treat



Go anywhere and someone will ask you or your kids, "What are you going to be for Halloween?" This question is the second most asked to "What is Santa Claus going to bring you?"

Given that I have told you many times before that I am not a big fan of being or getting scared, I am not a big fan of Halloween. When Big Guy was born, we did one year or Halloween. After our third house a kid dressed in a bleeding mask walked up and scared me and him to pieces. That was the end of that for both of us.

Not that I was surprised. That is what the holiday of Halloween is all about -- fear, death, ghosts, witches, skulls, tombstones, graveyards -- nothing to do with life. Somehow I couldn't make this mesh with my faith which teaches me that Jesus said, "I come to give you life..."

Our family has developed a "Sneak & Treat" night for October 31st. We rent a new movie or purchase a new game. Make some of our family's favorite foods. We turn off all of the lights and grab all of the pillows in the house and head to the living room. I give the boys a bag of at least five of their favorite candies. (Since these are full size candies they have something to eat on for almost a week.) I also give them a small amount of cash. We enjoy hiding out away from the world on this night. Now that the boys are older, if they have friends who don't enjoy Halloween and want to enjoy the fun with us, they are more than welcome!

No Fear! That is what Works for Me!

Fear is not of God. 2 Timothy 1:7 "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 1 John 4:18 "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear; because fear hath torment...."


Jesus Christ came to free us of all our fears. Luke 1:74; Hebrews 2:14-15

9 comments:

Taylor & Krisa said...

Does this mean we need to reschedule sister's night from Oct. 31?

Dr. Wifey said...

i'm with you on Halloween...i'm the party pooper neighbor with the lights off that night. ghosts and goblins just do nothing for me!

Unknown said...

That's a very great idea!!

I vote for life, joy, freedom! y vote for Jesus's love!

Sorry if my english is not good :)

Kristin - The Goat said...

I have moved into a gated condo community - that pretty much solves the problem of trick or treaters LOL I really really dislike dressing up in a costume. Always enjoyed the candy though lol

Have a fabulous day & great tip!
Kristin

My WFMW this week is Pack & Ship

Deanna said...

Krisa - No! This year, hubs has a special "Sneak & Treat" planned for the boys. As always, he is amazing, amazingly creative and wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!

Deanna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

That is a great idea! Sounds like fun and a great alternative to trick or treating!

Carrie said...

I looooooove Halloween AND I love being scared! Bring on the horror movies and haunted houses!!

But what a great idea to do with your family!

RLR said...

Found you through WFMW at Rocks In My Dryer. I've been looking for an alternative to trick-or-treating that will be fun for my almost five-year-old son (who loves going house-to-house) and will be safe for my peanut-allergic daughter - this sounds like just the idea for us! Thanks for sharing!