Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Bananas!

When bananas are on sale I am tempted to buy a "bunch", but then I buy the same amount as normal because I know they will just go to waste if I do. Bananas are always so appealing (seriously - I am not trying to come up with these) when they are stacked up in that display. However, after a couple of them I have had my fill.

Today while looking for a fruit smoothie recipe I read that you can actually keep banana slices for up to six months in your freezer if you toss them in lemon juice and store them in a freezer bag. I am definitely going to try that and this new smoothie recipe:

Ingredients
1 medium-size ripe banana, cut into 1-inch slices

2 teaspoons lemon juice

1 medium mango, peeled and cut into pieces

1 1/2 cups pineapple-orange juice, chilled

1 (8-ounce) container nonfat vanilla yogurt


Preparation

Toss banana with lemon juice; drain, reserving lemon juice. Place banana slices on a baking sheet, and freeze 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Process frozen banana slices, reserved lemon juice, mango, 1 1/2 cups pineapple-orange juice, and yogurt in a blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Pour into chilled glasses; serve immediately.


Yield
Makes 4 cups (serving size: 1 cup)

No comments: