Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Walking in Heaven

This morning I will be going to support a friend as she says goodbye to her mother. We will be celebrating her mother's life and hopefully silently sending her strength during what will most definitely be a very difficult day.

I find it almost appropriate that her funeral would be on Ash Wednesday. If anyone understands loss it is definitely our Lord. He gave up his only Son so that we could have eternal life. He will most definitely be hugging my sweet friend today in both her joy and sadness.

I know that Ash Wednesday and Lent has typically been thought of as Catholic holidays, but as I have grown in my faith I have come to embrace Lent in the same was as I have embraced Advent. Both are times leading up to the two most important holidays in a Christian's life.

For me, Lent is a time to evaluate the things that are keeping me from God. It is a time of refocusing on what is most important. My journey with Jesus Christ.

One day I want to join my friend's Mom walking in heaven.

No comments: