Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Fearless


Book Description:

Each sunrise seems to bring fresh reasons for fear.

They're talking layoffs at work, slowdowns in the economy, flare-ups in the Middle East, turnovers at headquarters, downturns in the housing market, upswings in global warming. The plague of our day, terrorism, begins with the word terror. Fear, it seems, has taken up a hundred-year lease on the building next door and set up shop. Oversized and rude, fear herds us into a prison of unlocked doors. Wouldn't it be great to walk out?

Imagine your life, wholly untouched by angst. What if faith, not fear, was your default reaction to threats? If you could hover a fear magnet over your heart and extract every last shaving of dread, insecurity, or doubt, what would remain? Envision a day, just one day, where you could trust more and fear less.

Can you imagine your life without fear?

Book Review:

Fear is such a weird emotion. I know that God put it in our lives to help us cope with certain situations. I mean we need fear to help us know to run when we see a snake. Fear is handy when in the path of a dangerous situation. However, how many times do we find ourselves in those situations? Fear is one of those emotions that we pull out and use when we don't even need it.

I had an relationship with fear from an early age. I was afraid of the dark. I developed what could be considered an Olympic sport in jumping from my bed to the wall to turn on the light without my feet touching the floor. As I grew, so did my fears.

I love Lucado's analogy of running a magnet over your heart and extracting those fears out. However, more than that, I love how Max has written a book that shows how God gave us the ability to live fearless in His presence and filled with faith.

2 comments:

gramma2many said...

Had to come look at your blog because I liked your comment to Lizzy about the President.
Liking what I am seeing. Better go read this book too.

Sharon said...

I am not sure if I could conquer all the fear, but It sure would be nice to conquer 95%. The book sounds good. Satan is continually throwing fear to all of us all day, we can just handle some better than other.

I pray you had a Blessed and Joyfilled weekend.
have a great week :)