Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Best Medicine

My family and friends have been so wonderful to me since my hospital stay.     One of the things I wanted to do was make a list of some of the wonderful things that were brought to me while I was in the hospital.     Hubs and I have been very lucky not to have to stay overnight at the hospital other than the birth of our boys.     This lack of experience has left me lacking in knowing what to bring someone in the hospital.

However, I received some amazingly thoughtful and wonderful things which made my hospital stay comfortable:

Flowers -  My church middle school youth group sent me this amazing flower arrangement.   
I love sunflowers and those arrangement gave my stark hospital a beautiful bit of color that just made me so happy!

Pajamas - The hospital wanted me to wear the hospital gown because of all the wires I had hooked up to me, but I was completely miserable feeling so exposed.    My sweet husband went out and bought me a gown that buttoned down the front so that the doctors could be happy, but I could still be completely covered as well.      Having pajamas that made me feel like a person again... priceless!

Flip Flops - A $1 pair of flips flops.   What a simple gift is that?    But I hate getting out of bed and putting my feet on the dirty floor and then crawling back into the bed.    Those flip flops made me soooo happy!

Insulated bag - A sweet friend brought me a bag filled me goodies.   The bag in itself was a gift because it was an insulated bag and gave me space to store items that I had at the hospital.     People would bring me cold drinks or small food items and having this insulated bag allowed me to keep them cool.   What a great idea.


Card Games - Late at night when the halls were still very loud and hubs and I couldn't sleep, it was so nice to have card games to play like Phase 10 and UNO.

Puzzle Games - The Special Needs ministry puts together baskets with puzzle books and small magazines for people who are in the hospital.   Donald and I enjoyed working the Sudoku book and we got a lot of use out of this basket.


Magazines - My sister brought me a stack of magazines from her house.   She said that they were ones that she had read, but I hadn't so they were so great to receive.

Hand cream - Oh to feel like I smelled normal instead of like a hospital!   

Wet wipes -  I am a germ-o-phob so having these to wipe off the phone, remote and tray made me feel cleaner and a little more in control of my surroundings.

A pad and pen - My mind was shot and there was no way I would have remembered all the thoughtful gifts without that pad and pen.

Movies and CDs - These passed the time on my laptop when the hours were long and I wasn't allowed to get out of the bed.    I don't think I have ever thought of renting movies for someone in the hospital before, but I will now!

Laughter - A couple of Big Guy's friends came to visit me which really touched my heart.     They kept me laughing the entire time they were there.     When they left I felt better than I had in days!


and no matter how old the patient is.   Never forget that they are never too old for an adorable stuffed animal.    This cute little bunny, from one of my best friends who is going through cancer treatments and knows a thing or two about what hospital patients need, helped me make a few little visitors feel more comfortable in my hospital room!










I don't know about you, but I feel so much better equipped the next time someone I love is in the hospital.

8 comments:

Beth said...

What a great post! I had my cross stitch brought to me(years ago) because I got so tired of watching tv. Great ideas. Glad you are home now!

Crystal said...

You have some great friends. The few times I've visited people in the hospital, I've never really known what to take, so I usually take flowers. Thanks for all of the great suggestions, I can see how all of the gifts you listed would be appreciated.

Shelby said...

I'm glad you were so blessed!! You are so well loved, Deanna, and that's mostly because you LOVE so well.

Patti Lacy said...

My! Do you EVER have support!!!
I always think flowers change the room's ambiance--especially a hospital room!

Glad you are better!
Blessings,
Patti

Katherine said...

What thoughtful gifts! I am so glad you are home and feeling better. =)

Allison said...

Awww. I'm so glad you were surrounded with such sweetness while you were in the hospital. Sudoku can pass all KINDS of time can't it?! =)

Playing by the book said...

Hi Deanna,
Sorry to read you've not been well. I hope you're making a good recovery. And I agree wholeheartedly with the flipflop comment!

Wilson said...

Those are some neat ideas! Glad you were taken care of. Hope you are on the mend!