Glance through them...
The Top Ten Reasons to Homeschool Your Children1. To instill your values and beliefs in your children.
2. To encourage academic excellence in your children.
3. To speak and meet your child’s unique, individual needs.
4. To help your children through the difficult times in their lives.
5. To help your children understand the hard questions we face in life.
6. To build intimate and meaningful relationships with your children in order to show them how much you love them.
7. To share with your children the common, everyday joys of life and be there when they need you most.
8. To be your children’s mentor, spiritual leader, role model, friend and teacher.
9. To protect your children from the negative influence they may encounter outside the home.
10. To instill in your children a life-long love for learning and to show than that learning is not boring, but exciting.
While I truly love homeschooling, I don't think that you have to homeschool to accomplish most of the things on this list. It is my hope that we were working on this list LONG before we started homeschooling.
In fact, there is only one thing on this list that was a factor in deciding to homeschool. Number 10 talks about instilling a love for learning. Both of my boys had lost their love of learning in public school. So much of public education these days is teaching to the "middle" as well as teaching to tests that there is little room for personal growth of even creativity and imagination. At the point we took the boys out of school they definitely would not have described learning as fun and exciting.
So how do you feel about this list? A reason to homeschool or just a a good list of ways to be fully involved in your child's life?