Wednesday, March 11, 2009

WFW: Water of Life

When you are truly thirsty, there is nothing that will quench your thirst like water. You can grab and practically flood yourself with all types of liquids, but there is only one type of liquid that will ultimately quench that thirst and it is water.

But what about spiritually? Every person on the face of the earth is thirsty. But not all of us are at the same place spiritually. Amazingly Jesus addresses this when he said, "Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." (John 4:13-14)

Some people are thirsty because they haven't asked God to take control of their hearts. You are like me and know people like this. They are grabbing every type of "beverage": food, money, job, entertainment, sports, shopping, etc... It helps the thirst for a little while but they are still thirsty. They don't seem to realize that what they are experiencing is a holy thirst -- from God and for God.

Some people are thirsty because their soul is dusty. They are literally dehydrated because of their lack of time in His presence. They know God but the relationship is not truly there. They are so entraced in drinking the world's sugary sweetness that they are forgetting that the soul quenching LIVING water can only come from God.

However, some people experience thirst of the best kind. They experience the thirst of completely satisfaction. They are so in love with their God that they literally thirst for more of Him. They truly understand Psalm 34:8 when it says, "taste and see that God is good!"

A.W. Tozer understood spiritual thirst: "O God, I have tasted thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, the Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still." (The Pursuit of God)

Growing up and going to church camp growing up we would sing this song:

I've got a river of life flowing out of me,
Makes the lame to walk and the blind to see
Opens prison doors and sets the captives free
I've got a river of life flowing out of me.

Spring up, O Well, within my soul.
Spring up, O Well, and make me whole.
Spring, O Well, and give to me that life abundantly.


Dear Lord, Please give to me that Life abundantly!
It is my heart's thirst to know you with a river of life flowing out of me!

8 comments:

From the Doghouse said...

Sometimes, people get so thirsty they can't even recognize what it is anymore.

Laurie Ann said...

Beautiful picture & Scripture. Fantastic post on the different types of thirsts we experience. Happy WFW!

Michele Williams said...

Beautiful picture and Scripture.. Thank you for sharing... Blessings

Anonymous said...

beautiful verse, photo and thoughts.

Happy WFW :)

Amy W said...

I remember that song!! An oldie, but a goodie. :) I liked the descriptions of the three different thirsts as well. Great post!

Denise said...

Amen my friend.

Sai Hijara - Ferraris said...

Lovely WFW...

~♥~ Mariposa's Tales ~♥~

Carrie said...

I LOVE IT! I have to admit I'm brushing off some dust these days!

You are awesome!