Friday, June 4, 2010
Be Prepared for Natural Disasters
The American Red Cross together with "Simple and Surprising" Clorox put together a free ebook called "Adventures in Being Prepared".
For every book that is downloaded between today and June 30th, Clorox will donate $1 (up to $10,000)to the American Red Cross. What could be better? Preparing your family for tornado, hurricane and other natural disasters and helping out the American Red Cross.
Here is some of the GREAT tips you will find in this eBook:
1. Get a Kit
One of the first projects in the book is to create an emergency kit. You’ve probably heard of these. Often it is a backpack or a sturdy, waterproof container with a secure lid. You want to fill it with all the things you will need in case you are without power or have to evacuate your home.
Here are some of the things you’ll want to have in your kit:
* Water (minimum 3-day supply), 1 gallon per person, per day for drinking and washing
* Non-perishable food (minimum 3-day supply)
* Battery powered or hand-crank radio
* Extra batteries
* First aid kit
* Important medications
* Multi-purpose tool
* Sanitation and personal hygiene items
* Copies of personal documents like the deed/lease to your home, birth certificates and insurance policies
* Cell phone with chargers
* Family and emergency contact information
* Extra cash
* Emergency blanket
* Map(s) of the area
* Extra clothing
* Household liquid bleach such as Clorox® Regular-Bleach (for cleaning, disinfecting and emergency water purification*)
*Use as directed.