Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Last Christian



In the future, it’s possible to live forever—but at what cost?

A.D. 2088.

Missionary daughter Abigail Caldwell emerges from the jungle for the first time in her thirty-four years, the sole survivor of a mysterious disease that killed her village. Abby goes to America, only to discover a nation where Christianity has completely died out. A curious message from her grandfather assigns her a surprising mission: re-introduce the Christian faith in America, no matter how insurmountable the odds.

But a larger threat looms. The world's leading artificial intelligence industrialist has perfected a technique for downloading the human brain into a silicon form. Brain transplants have begun, and with them comes the potential of eliminating physical death altogether—but at what expense?

As Abby navigates a society grown more addicted to stimulating the body than nurturing the soul, she and Creighton Daniels, a historian troubled by his father's unexpected death, become unwitting targets of powerful men who will stop at nothing to further their nefarious goals. Hanging in the balance—the spiritual future of all humanity.

In this fast-paced thriller, startling near-future science collides with thought-provoking religious themes to create a spell-binding "what-if?" novel.

Read the first chapter of this book here.

Book Description


In the 8th grade we were assigned the book 1984 to read as part of English Literature.    I remember the chills, nights lying awake thinking about what I had read and the heavy discussions that were generated because of this book.     That book affected me for a long time.       All those feelings flooded back when I picked up David Gregory's The Last Christian.   

I could NOT put this book down.    Although fiction the plot line was so realistic and believable and very frightening.     Abigail, a young woman who grew up as a missionary, has come to the United States to find a place where Christianity has disappeared.      Because of laws making preaching a hate crime, all of the churches shut down.      Marriages are non-existent and have been replaced by ten year contracts.    Children often don't know or have contact with their parents.      Computers as we know them have been replaced by implants in people's brain which allow people to access the internet from their minds.      (Tell me your skin isn't crawling!)

The main story line centers around a scientific experiment which allows people to download their brain into a new form which allows them to "cheat" death.    However, people who have tried this wake up to realize that their soul has been taken from them.   

For a while that thought bothered me.    So much so that I did something I never do.    I asked my best friend to read this book too.      While she was reading I prayed through my feelings.     The Lord brought to mind the following Scripture:

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."   Romans 8:38-39
God reminded me that this was a fiction book.     But it was a really well written book and one that I very highly recommend.     In fact, it is one that I am giving around to quite a few people.     

1 comment:

Beth said...

Thanks for this review. I am a lover of Christian fiction and this book looks very interesting. My to be read book list just keeps getting longer. Our library is very slow in getting the new books in.....God is teaching me patience!