Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Summer Reading




This is where my love affair with books began... summer days browsing books on the Bookmobile.    It would drive out to the country every two weeks and we could get new books.     Nancy Drew, Encyclopedia Brown, Little House on the Prairie, Little Women, Charlotte's Web, Judy Blume, Boxcar Children.... when the afternoon would get too hot to play you could grab your book and stretch out on the porch swing with a popsicle and read.

That is why I am obsessed with summer reading.     As soon as I saw the display at Barnes and Noble for the summer reading program I snatched up the form.    Somehow I didn't see the same excitement when I came dancing in the door to show my boys.     Hmmmm.....    What could be more exciting than reading 8 books and getting a FREE book?!?

Some of the books on our summer reading list:



What is on your summer reading list?   Your children?     Where is your favorite place to read?

6 comments:

Wanda M said...

You and I are, once again, kindred spirits in more ways than one. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to read. I would meet the bookmobile too. I also would go check out at least 15 books every week from the library--so many that the mean librarian accused me of NOT reading them.....until my mother assured her most certainly that I was reading everyone :-) I could watch TV, shell butterbeans and read a book at the same time too! I have one reader and one who hates it but we have a few books to read and I signed them up for the B&N Summer Reading too :-)

Taylor & Krisa said...

Pretty sure the BookMobile had hung up its wheels by the time I was of reading age. ha! I've never seen that thing before but I did enjoy all the books it left behind in our house!

Dr. Wifey said...

right now i am reading "The Art of Driving in the Rain" and so far it is a pretty good read. we live close to the library, so i have been hitting it up quite often. i am also reading to the baby *almost* every night. my MIL gave us "Your Favorite Seuss: A Baker's Dozen by the one and only Dr. Seuss." it is quite funny to lay in bed and read Dr. Seuss to my belly. hubby gets a kick out of it!

Deanna said...

Wanda, amazing how we learned multi-tasking skills so early, isn't it?

Krisa, I wondered if you ever experienced the Bookmobile. It would park in front of the Sturgis' house and Mom would drive us over there.

Wifey, Hubby will really be amazed when sweet Addison is the smartest baby in town!

K Storm said...

I hope to finish a couple of books: The Help and Night. Sissy is rereading The Trumpet of the Swans. She read it a couple of summers ago but it is on her school list and she wants to refresh her memory since they will have to use it in August. She seems interested in reading my old Little House books (yea). And Boomer is starting to read so we are using Easy Reader books but he loves the picture books we read together.

Debra said...

Oooh, great reading list. I think Carry On, Mr. Bowditch is one of my absolute favorites from reading aloud to my kids!

And love the bookmobile... my oldest is volunteering at the bookmobile this summer. I don't know what we'd do without it.