Wednesday, February 4, 2009

WFW: Light


I know there is a book out there that says "Everything I Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten", but I think that is wrong. I really think everything I needed to know I learned in Sunday School. And a lot of it was learned in those little songs we learned in children's church and Bible school.

For example:

This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine, Let it shine, Let it shine.

Hide it under a bushel? No! I'm gonna let it shine
Hide it under a bushel? No! I'm gonna let it shine
Hide it under a bushel? No! I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine, Let it shine, Let it shine.

Don't let Satan blow it out, I'm gonna let it shine
Don't let Satan blow it out, I'm gonna let it shine
Don't let Satan blow it out, I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine, Let it shine, Let it shine.

It kind of sums it up, doesn't it. We are Christians and we are called to be a light. Let it shine! If we have Christ in our hearts He is going to shine through. In our words, our actions, our thoughts... every day.

When I was a little girl we used to sing this song and I used to think that hiding it under a bushel meant a bush. We would hold up our finger to be our light and then cover our finger with the other hand to say "cover it with a bushel". However, when I got older I started singing the song "I love you a bushel and a peck" to my little boy and he wanted to know what a bushel was and I looked it up. A bushel is equal to 4 pecks or 35 liters.

So basically what that song is saying is, "Don't bury your light!" Step out of your comfort zone. Don't bury it. Don't let Satan blow it out. Shine, Jesus, Shine! In spite of me. Shine!

One of the great things about light is that it doesn't take a lot of light to make a huge impact. Don't believe me? You obviously have never played sardines in your church during a youth lock-in. This was a favorite for my youth group and I growing up. It is a reverse version of hide and seek. One person hides and then people go looking. As you find them you hide with them. The key? The entire church is dark. You have a flashlight, but you don't want to use it or you will reveal your position in the game. You wouldn't believe the creative tiny light sources people would bring to play this game. You needed light to move, but even the tiniest light would reveal where you were moving. I was always amazed how we could be standing in a dark hallway and one tiny key chain light could brighten the entire pathway.

Imagine what our lights as Christians can do for this dark world?

God, use my light! Let it grow brighter and brighter for you! (And Satan, take a hike!)

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT POST, Deanna! And I love the picture.

Let me tell you, girlfriend, your light shines brighter than just about anybody I know. You have NO IDEA how much light you throw on the path for those of us who get afraid of the dark. He absolutely shines through you!

Sharon said...

This is really gooooood. I want to be like that commercial Motel 6 always have the light on.
This is the 3rd post I have read this morning in re-gards to the light. so awesome
But you are shining your light, and I just enjoyed walking that path with you.
Thanks
Blessings my sister
Loveee & Hugggssss
Sharon

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Thank you so much for sharing! I know I need to get out more and shine the light of Jesus. I have an issue with being more bold.

LIghting this light of mine to let it shine!

Carrie said...

Hmmmm...

Methinks my light might shine brighter if I had a Krispy Kreme Donut Cake sitting in front of me right now.

HAH

And I agree heartily with Shelby!! You are always a little ray of sunshine in my day!

Dr. Wifey said...

as always, very inspiring post! i try to let my light shine - especially at work, which is a dark, dark place

black betty said...

i LOVE that song. i used to sing it over and over and over when i was little. my grandmaw would sing it with me.

thanks for your wonderful wednesday post! xoxo

From the Doghouse said...

Great post - although I got distracted by that doughnut cake.

K Storm said...

I want to let my little light shine!!

Laurie Ann said...

Amen! I loved your post and the picture was too precious! I grew up singing the same song and thinking the same thing. Praying my light is never buried but always shines forth for the glory of God! Happy WFW!

Patty Wysong said...

WONderful! I've sung that song thousands of times--and still love it. LoL. Adorable picture--and I love his look!
Blessings!

Melissa B. said...

Wow! A donut birthday cake!! I'll bet your light was REALLY shining the day you concocted that creation!!! You are a bright star in the Blogosphere, Deanna, that's for sure!

Denise said...

Such a fantastic post.

Alicia The Snowflake said...

Love the donut birthday cake! Too cute!

I also love this post. It's not always easy to let our light shine. But people are always watching whether we realize it or not. May we not hide our light under a bushel!

Mokihana said...

Really great post and photo...I used to sing that song with my girls!

Rebecca said...

First of all, great post about light. Secondly, I love the fonts you used in your WFW. Lastly, last time I stopped by I recognized the line from your header from a song in a really old Cinderella movie we watched on VHS when we were kids. It brought back such fun memories.

Amy W said...

I loved playing Sardines in the church! As a volunteer youth leader, I decided we should play it one night. The kids all used their CELL PHONES for light! Boy, have times changed!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post...love the photo and the verse...and cool word placement :) And yum a doughnut cake...my kind of cake :)

Blessings.

Amydeanne said...

awww what a cutie! i love this!

and your 24 post above is hilarious! lol