Saturday, January 2, 2010

Challenges For the New Year

Every one is making New Year's resolutions. I am not really into the whole "setting myself up for failure" scenario. I would rather be a little more realistic with my goals. I prefer to think about the New Year ahead as a chance to grow and be challenged.

Some of my challenges for 2010...

Deepen my daily time with God. Whether I need to get up earlier, go to bed later or just skip some kind of silly activity during the day, I want to know God on a deeper level this year.

Be faithful with our "thankful jar". I have strips of Christmas themed paper in an apothecary jar that I want our family to write down answers to prayer on during this coming year. When December 1st comes, I want to be able to make a paper chain out of our answered prayers to decorate our Christmas tree.

Be more open about talking about my faith with others. I try to live my faith and I do try to share my faith, but sometimes I hesitate. I want to lose my hesitancy. I worry that my hesitancy takes away my effectiveness in my witness.

Find more opportunities for the boys to live our their "mission's heart".      Both Little Guy and Big Guy have a heart for missions.     They each have a charity that they have adopted and are constantly saving money for to support.     They jump in and are willing to volunteer given the chance.     During 2009 they lived their faith at Habitat for Humanity, Waterford Retirement Home, The Christmas Village, Aid Sudan, Salvation Army, Angel Tree, orphanages in Africa and several others.      My challenge is to support them in their desire to do even more in 2010.

Drink more water. I don't know why this is always such a challenge for me because I enjoy water. I need to be more diligent in challenging myself to drink water before other liquids.

Develop a new skill this year. I would love to learn how to sew or even refinish furniture. So many crafts and things I would love to learn.

Do more DIY projects. I have started a list. More specifically I have started emailing projects to hubs that I would like to tackle. I am sure he is getting nervous.

I think that is enough to start a new year. I am sure that God will reveal more to me as the year goes along. Aren't you glad other people don't get to write your New Year's resolutions for you?

8 comments:

Shelby said...

Your goals and challenges are commendable! And some are similar to my own. The water thing? Me too. The deepening relationship with God? Yup. Losing my hesitancy to talk about my faith with other? Mm-hmmmm...

Your thankful jar with the answered prayers for a chain for your tree? May I steal that one?

DIY? No. For me to DIY = spending money on pros to not only fix the original problem but also what I goof up!

I love you, Deanna, and am thankful to have you among my friends to celebrate another new year and a new decade.

Buckaroo Banzai said...

Good luck, Deanna! I should drink more water, too.

K Storm said...

I like the thankful jar!

Lots of plans for 2010...praying you'll be blessed in their pursuit!

Deanna said...

Shelby, "steal" away! As far as DIY, I am starting with smaller projects to build up my confidence.

Wyatt, thanks. H2O is not my favorite thing, but I always feel better when I drink more.

Thanks, K. I am looking forward to 2010!

Patti Lacy said...

Deanna,
Wow, I am impressed! What I really want for 2010 and every year is for God to take my hand and lead me via the Holy Spirit. It's such an exciting way to live!!!

Happy New Year!!!!
Patti

Jennifer Juniper said...

I don't usually make resolutions either. But your challenges sound like they are right up my alley!

Allison said...

I like the way you put resolutions into challenges. Plan to talk about that in my post today!

Dr. Wifey said...

Deanna, I can teach you how to make stained glass once I get everything moved over to MS!