Monday, January 18, 2010

Coaster Thanks

Once we made the soap to go in the thank you box for our host homes, we decided it needed something more.    Big Guy and I were walking through Lowe's one day to grab a few things and I decided to grab a few tiles to just see how hard it would be to make coasters.     After making a few samples, we decided we would make them for our host homes.   

We went and bought a bunch more tiles, brought them home and got to work.     First of all, we laid them out and wiped them all down really well with a Clorox wet wipe.     Once they were dry, we picked out the paper we liked.     We decided to go with a black and white theme.   

After we traced our papers to be the of the tiles, the boys applied a thin coat of Mod Podge to the tile.



Then they carefully placed the paper on top of the Mod Podge and then rolled it out so no air bubbles were underneath using our Pampered Chef pastry roller.     It wasn't its intended use, but it works!



Hmmmm.... I wonder how it would look if we painted the edges black?    Let's find out!  


Oooh, pretty!   Well, if that looks good.    I wonder what it would look like if we slightly distressed the edge of the paper.

Still loving it!   But it still seems to be missing something.    What to do?    What to do?    I know!


We coated the entire thing with mod podge again to seal it.    Then we decided we needed to do something to keep it from clinking.    So Little Guy sat down and cut out some felt to go on the back of the tiles.

Do you see that tool Little Guy is using?     Those are Black and Decker Cordless Power Scissors.     I can't profess my love for those babies enough!     If you don't have a pair of those you NEED a pair.     He cut the felt backings for all 48 tiles in 10 minutes.     I will be doing another post about the table squares I made for our dinner and you won't believe what he cut out for me using these.      We bought these for Little Guy for Christmas but I am going to buy me one too.   Love it!    Love it!   Love it!  

Our tiles are finished and hopefully our host homes will see these and know how much we appreciate them!

 


7 comments:

Patti Lacy said...

These are AMAZING!!! Oh, I'm sooo jealous! Not a craft bone in my body!!!

Blessings, dear one.

Patti
www.pattilacy.com/blog

K Storm said...

Those look great!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Oh my gosh!! I LOVE these!!! Such a great idea. I am so impressed your boys will help you with these projects.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Those look incredible! Martha has nothing on you and your sons :)

Felicia said...

Nice! Alyssa and I will be trying this craft. Needless to say we love making clipboards, another craft I learned from you.

Crystal said...

Wow, those look great! I love all of the different black and white patterns. You and your boys did a great job!

apple blossom said...

This post was featured in our carnival this week.
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/teaching4Him/153