Monday, May 5, 2008

Have You Thanked Your Teacher?

This week is Teacher Appreciation Week. I have no idea how to summarize all the thanks I have for my boy's teachers into a simple gift, but I am definitely going to try.

Tanner has two amazing teachers. Mrs. Hollis and Mr. Johnson are both amazing. They have encouraged Tanner's fascination with learning as well as his desire to work ahead in some areas. Although differentiated instruction is encouraged it is not always put into practice as effectively as I have witnessed Mrs. Hollis and Mr. J do in their classroom. When your child has a fascination with reading and learning there are one of two things that can happen: it can be encouraged or it can be squashed. We are so blessed that Tanner was put into a classroom where his desire was nurtured and encouraged. His desire to learn has only gotten stronger. He is already begging me to "homeschool" him this summer and the school year isn't over yet!

I was warned that the fifth grade year could be really tough. Todd and I were both nervous on the first day of school. In addition to the fifth grade experience, he also was put into an all boy's class. I am not sure that either of us would have survived had it not been for his teacher, Mrs. A. Smith. When you become the teacher/"mom" to a room full of boys, you definitely have your work cut out for you. Mrs. Smith is grace under pressure and she is my hero! The fifth grade year is tough. The teachers are trying to teach, assist the students as they prepare for the transition into middle school and deal with the students who are undergoing the natural hormonal changes that occur at this age. Add into that recipe the kids normal personalities and temperaments and you have a job of enormous proportions. Just writing it makes me wonder why we have 5th grade teachers at all!?!

I'm not sure how the boys and I will thank their teachers this week, but I will never be able to thank them enough for teaching, caring for, and being the amazing God given teachers that they have been these 180 days of school. As far as Donald and I are concerned, they are angels in disguise.

We love you, Mrs. Hollis, Mr. J. and Mrs. A. Smith!

2 comments:

Webmaster said...

We picked up a teacher appreciation gift tonight. Talk about a labor of love. I admire anyone who can lead a wild bunch of kids, and for that pay, too. Good post, Deanna.

Deanna said...

Thanks! I am still trying to figure out how to summarize 180 days of thanks into one tiny little gift.