Monday, May 12, 2008

That's What Moms Do

I made a run to the grocery store this afternoon for brain food. The healthiest of breakfast food, the most nutritious of lunch foods and the most vitamin packed snacks.

It isn't like I cram junk down my boy's throats every other day, but I am feeling incredible pressure this week with the MCT2 testing going on. I know that my boys need a good night's sleep and they need a really good food in their bodies to give them the energy and fuel for their brains so that they concentrate and stay focused for the unbelievable amount of time that the ding-dongs at the State Department want these kids to sit still for. I'm sorry. I know that that was an incredibly disrespectful thing to say, but seriously, it makes me all shades of angry when I think about it for very long.

My son's school bell rings at 7:40 and he eats lunch at 11:45. They are planning for them to either bring a sack lunch or buy one from the cafeteria because of the length of the test. They are anticipating students not to finish by the beginning of lunch which for our school is at about 10:30. Let's think about this: 8:00 - 10:30. Could you concentrate for 2 1/2 hours for three days at the age of 8, 9 and 10? Ridiculous!

I'm sorry. State Department of Education. Either they need to come and experience day to day life in the classroom or we need to clear the slate and start over again. Because I don't know what their perception is, but right now it is not anywhere close to reality.

1 comment:

From the Doghouse said...

I'm with you. We're having to make our girl go to bed early because of it as well. Last night we got "I'm trying to go to sleep, but I just can't."