Sunday, May 4, 2008

Intimate Moments With the Savior

Worship = reverent honor paid to God, to feel an adoring reverence

Service = an act of helpful activity; the serving of God by obedience



I've been going to church all of my life. My Daddy had a motto for church: "If you are the second car in the parking lot... you are late." Growing up in the church, I had a lot of mentors. Some taught me about music, some taught me about Sunday School, some taught me about visitation, and some just taught me.


I had quite a few pastors growing up. One of the first sermons I remember was not because of the content, but because of the fact that the pastor quit preaching in the middle to tell me to stop talking. In a small church, that happens. That definitely qualifies as one of my (and my Mom's) most embarrassing moments.


When I was a teenager we had a pastor who taught an entire sermon series on "Papa God". I have an amazing Daddy so this series really hit home with me. This Pastor helped me connect with God in a way that I never had before.

After Donald and I got married we had a guest pastor who preached a sermon. What his sermon was on I can't remember, but he said one line that he become my life motto: "Whatever you are filled with, spills when you are bumped." Some days that one line haunts me. Some days that line inspires me. Other days that line motivates me. On all days that line reminds me of what is ultimately true.

These days Sundays have been a rediscovery of worship. Pastor Phil's sermons tend to inspire a sense of worship in my spirit. There are true moments in the service when I want to stand up and say, "Hey! Don't you people here what he is saying? How can this sanctuary be so silent? Can't you feel the hope, the truth, the feeling of worship in your spirit?" But yet, I know that wouldn't be right because maybe this is my moment.

Very intimate moments with the Savior. That is what worship is all about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Blog..