Monday, June 23, 2008

I Cannot Tell A Lie....

Or at least I didn't mean to! All these years I have been telling my boys that I don't hunt, I hate the thought of hunting and that I have never been hunting when it occurred to me this morning: That is a lie!

Don't ask me what made me think of it. Maybe it was chatting with my high school friends. Maybe it was updating my playlist of music from the high school days to upload to our class website. Or maybe it was just talking with the boys about growing up that made me remember.

Whatever it was, the lightbulb went on and I suddenly remembered that I spent quite a few nights in high school snipe hunting! You have to go snipe hunting a lot because they are temperamental creatures you know. Groups of people have to run ahead while a group stays behind with the sacks to catch the snipe. (Snipe hunting is very humane.) It is the first group's responsibility to make lots of noise, or in my case sing Kung Fu Fighting, to scare the snipes back to the "catchers". It is a huge responsibility and often given to the chosen few (a.k.a. newbies!)

Yes, I am going to have to correct that mistake with my boys. While I am at it. That might have to be a summer fun activity for us. We may have to take our boys camping and take them on their first snipe hunt.

12 comments:

Supermom said...

Snipes scare me. =)

Deanna said...

It's the beady little eyes!

Webmaster said...

LOL.
Hubs convinced me to go hunting this past season. I'd never been before in my life, but it's his passion so I caved. I froze my butt off. We saw lots of innocent forest creatures, but dangit ... I couldn't get a clear shot. Oh rats.

But I did get a nasty headcold afterwards. Guess that's what I get.

From the Doghouse said...

Yeah, but did you LIKE snipe hunting?

Deanna said...

No snipes were harmed in the posting of this blog or during any outings with my friends unless they have sensitive ears and are bothered by high pitched squealing and laughing!

I thought it was hysterical!

black betty said...

i would have loved to see you running around! :D

Deanna said...

I ran much faster in my teenage years!

Miss Mud Puddle said...

What are snipes?

Confessions of A Mississippi Mom said...

LOL Snipes hunting! Well tell your boy's it time to go hunting!

HEATHER said...

I love me a big ole juicy snipe steak!! Which I eat while wearing my snipe fur coat and hat!!!!
;-)

Deanna said...

I hope your snipe fur coat looked better than that thing Miss Mud posted on her blog last week. Ha!

A. Boyd Campbell, II said...

Sometimes, if your snipe hunters are very brave, real-live wooley-boogers are attracted by the noise.

You can just barely make out their shadows, off in the woods, watching you.