Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Finding Happiness... Where I Lost It

There is something about feeling needed. Last night when I went to bed I was really tired, but the happiest I have been in a long time because yesterday was such a full day. I had actually been "needed" yesterday.

I know that sounds silly. After all, I am a Mom. I am needed every day. My boys need me to make meals, wash clothes, drive them in carpool, help them with homework, etc.... I realize all that. Somehow this was just different.

I woke up yesterday morning and got the boys ready for school. My BIL dropped baby sis off at my house on his way to work so that I could take her to the hospital during the day to take care of the babies. After we dropped Big Guy off in carpool we headed down. The hospital gave us a little tiny room to take the girls in so that my sister could nurse the girls and while she was nursing one girl I was able to hold, snuggle and change the diaper and clothing of the other girl. I was in heaven. Pure heaven.

When we left, I followed my sister's directions as to what she wanted and needed to do. We went to a little shop that she needed to go to and then to grab some lunch. Then we headed back to the hospital for round two of feeding. Have I said how sweet these girls are yet? Just making sure.

I drove my sister home so she could rest and then drove back to pick up Little Guy from art classes. On the way, I decided to drop off some ingredients at Amusing's house for a recipe she was making for her jewelry party. Just as I was pulling into her driveway, my phone rang and it was Amusing, "Help!" she said. I was glad she called. I ran inside and told her I would be right back after I picked up Little Guy. I had so much fun helping her cook, set up and get ready for her party guest.

When I got home last night, I realized that although it had been a long day I was very content. I am just truly happiest when I am doing... and doing for others.

11 comments:

Wilson said...

What a great day and what a sweet sis you are! I can't wait to get my hands on those babies again.

Unknown said...

OH what a wonderful day. I know EXACTLY what you mean about being needed!!

K Storm said...

I like days such as that too...when I feel I truly meet a need...not just carry out expectations.

From the Doghouse said...

I like that feeling. It's like you served your purpose today.

amusing moments said...

...and I NEVER could have gotten it all done without you!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!! :)

Confessions of A Mississippi Mom said...

That's the best feeling! Auntie!

Taylor & Krisa said...

And you sure are great in times of need! Thanks so much for a wonderful day - I appreciate you so much!!

Felicity said...

I completely understand why you felt the way you did! I have those moments also :)

Carrie said...

Hey D--how's about you hop a flight up to MI because I NEED you this week!!

I'll feed you for your services! haha

I have SO much to do this week, just trying to keep my head above water...

AM said...

it's nice to be needed!

mayberry said...

Isn't it amazing how when we take the focus OFF of ourselves, how much better we feel?