Thursday, December 4, 2008

Things You Shouldn't Do On 2 Hours Sleep

The funny thing about babies being born? Life goes on. My middle sister had to drag my niece and nephew out of the bed and bring them to the hospital with her in the middle of the night because my BIL works the night shift. When he got off work, he came by and picked up my nephew and then took their sick dog to the vet.

After getting up at 2am and spending the day at the hospital with my sister, I still had quite a few things of my own to do because both of my boys had events at their schools that night. I quickly realized that there are things you just shouldn't do on 2 hours sleep!

Shop. I received an email the night before the girls arrived saying that Big Guy had to wear church shoes for his band concert or he would receive a failing grade. Big Guy wears tennis shoes to church so I had to go pick him up from school and take him shoe shopping. Shoe shopping + two boys + two hours sleep = you want that? O.K! We left the store with not only the church shoes, but also a brand new pair of skateboarder tennis shoes for Big guy. Was Big Guy over the moon? Oh, yes, but neither my husband or I were happy when I realized I dipped into my overdraft account. I haven't done that before, but apparently on two hours sleep... I really can't do math!

Favors for a friend. On Monday before all the excitement had begun I had created an invitation for a jewelry party that Amusing is having. On Tuesday afternoon when I got home from the hospital I tried to fill in all the details for her so that she could get it sent out. She emailed and said, "I know you are tired, but I never thought you would be so tired that you would forget my phone number!" I have no idea whose phone number that was.

Attend Public Events. Those school events for my boys? Oh boy. I have this problem when I get tired. I get giggly. Even when there is nothing funny. Then I tend to say things kind of louder than I intended. Here are just a few of the outrageous things I did:
  • At Little Guy's program (which was for his Gifted Class), she was explaining all the learning styles. She stated that Little Guy was one of the students in the class that was primarily visual. I looked at him and said, "Just like your Daddy!" He looked at me all confused and then I realized.... learning, Visual LEARNING!
  • I finally found a seat at the high school auditorium and sat down. I said, "Wow! These seats were made for fat chicks." Three rows around me burst out laughing and one lady said, "You aren't kidding, sister."
  • My only non-giggly moment was seeing my Big Guy and his friends up there performing their first ever band concert. I was so proud of them. These kids have been together since kindergarten and they just looked so "grown". *sniff*
  • One of the older bands had an instrument that was really off key. That really started my giggles.
  • When the high school band came out and played a rendition of Jingle Bells mixed with teh patriotic song "Hooray for the Red, White and Blue", I was wiping the tears out of my eyes.
  • On the way to the car, I asked Big Guy, "Why did you park so far away from the auditorium?" He said, "Mom, I didn't drive, silly!" I said, "You must have because I don't remember driving us here!" I seriously think I saw both boys bow their head in prayer at that moment. Ha!

11 comments:

Dr. Wifey said...

Girl, get you some sleep! LOL i, too, tend to get delirious and giggly when i am sleep-deprived

Unknown said...

You are my SOUL SISTER...

You know what I do when I only get 2 hours sleep? i leave my wallet at home and then head off across the state....

Wilson said...

Hope you are more rested now. I can just envision you giggling through everything. HA!

Anonymous said...

I love your comment about the car being parked so far away! Geez!!

When I'm tired, I get goofy like a junior high school girl. And I get lost -- even in my own neighborhood!

mayberry said...

LOL while I was reading this. I get giggly when I'm tired too. And I snort! =)

Melissa B. said...

Silly Mom! BTW, I'm a finalist for a Pretty Neat Blog Award. Sure would appreciate your vote! Please come by to see me to get the details. Thanks!!

Confessions of A Mississippi Mom said...

AWW Auntie, Mom, Wife, and Sister you need a rest..

Carrie said...

Oh man, I am the biggest giggler and once I start, I have the hardest time stopping!! This was not helpful every Sunday during Church Choir. Especially when I was the conductor...

I would have loved to hang around with you when you're all cra-zay!

So how about you get in your car right now and drive like mad? You'll be delirious by then, right??

Sharon said...

This is really funny!! I know what you mean, I remember and old saying, "you get punched drunk" does that make since. haha
I am sure you are feeling better now, watch out for the kids they know how to get mom! haha

Have a terrific weekend
Hugggss
Sharon

From the Doghouse said...

Fat chicks. That's funny.

Glad you made it there and back OK!

Buckaroo Banzai said...

I'd add blogging. I was posting yesterday - in fairness, on 4 hours sleep - and misspelled every fifth word.