Friday, December 19, 2008

School Christmas Party

Yesterday was Little Guy's Christmas party at school. I am the room mom so that meant that I got to go and be a part of the fun. Little Guy has such sweet friends in his class. The little girls that is in the picture below is one of his sweet friends that he has been telling me about for the past two weeks. They both LOVE math and he has been teaching her the multiplication tables. You don't officially learn the multiplication tables in 2nd grade, but his teacher encourages them to learn, learn, learn so they do!


When I first started organizing parties for Big Guy, I would spend hours decorating and planning elaborate foods but I soon realized that these kids just wanted "stuff". So I started planning simpler and cute food. That is what they wanted so that is what they get. Below are some OREOS that I very quickly dipped in white chocolate and sprinkled with Christmas sprinkles.


Believe it or not, their favorite snack were these cheese cubes with pretzel sticks. These always seem to be a hit with the kids no matter what party I attend. They just think they are fun and yummy.

I forgot to take a photo, but one of my best "tips" for throwing a party at school is with the chips and dip. I buy individual bags of chips for each child (that is easy), but then there is the dip. I used to spend forever putting dip on each plate until I discovered the easiest shortcut. While eating at one of my favorite delis they gave me ranch dressing in this little cup with a top. It hit me that it would make the perfect way to serve up the ranch dip. I asked the restaurant if I could buy 25 cups and lids. They willingly donated them to me. I went to school with the dip already in the cups which made it so easy to pass out to the kids. Love serving dip at school that way! Quick and mess free!

Yesterday I tried to drink in Little Guy's Christmas party. We only have three more with him. Christmas parties end at middle school. That means no more parties for Big Guy. They grow up sooo fast.

9 comments:

Dr. Wifey said...

wish i was in his class! LOL i went to my nephew's Christmas party about 3 years ago and believe it or not, out of all the "junk" food there, his favorite was grapes and cheese. love the chip and dip idea

black betty said...

u maka me verrrry hongry... :P

Carrie said...

You tried to drink while you were in his party? Did you have a flask filled with rum and eggnog?

Have I told you I'm a total whore for eggnog?

haha

You love me don't you?

K Storm said...

Fun parties...yes, we have to enjoy these elementary years, don't we? Great tips for the chip/dip and other food. I'll have to remember those!

Kayra said...

I love the cheese/pretzel combo. That's a great idea and healthy snack. The dip idea sounds great too.

Sandi said...

Do you cater? ;)

A. Boyd Campbell, II said...

The cheese pretzel thing would be great for football parties. You could even stick a slice of sausage on it too!

Supermom said...

Next time you need little cups with lids let me know. I have like 1000 up in my attic from Sam's and I don't know WHAT to do with them. :)

Melissa B. said...

Such Sweet Kids, and the party food looks delish! Thanks for the chip & dip tip...that will come in handy, I'm sure! BTW, please don't forget my Sx3 tomorrow...it's seasonal-and hysterical!