Thursday, November 20, 2008

Grandpa's Junk. My Guy's Treasure.

Hubs took the boys to the country to see my MIL and FIL a couple of weeks ago while I was at my women's conference.

You know what they say about one man's junk being another man's treasure? Well, that is so true. FIL has a body shop and he has a pile of scrap parts from cars out behind his body shop. Hubs said that the boys had the best time digging through that pile. They dug out license plates, rims, hub caps and all types of things. Apparently, they found a set of hub caps that are worthy some money and they are going to try to sell them on eBay. (Hubs has already found one set similar that people are bidding big money on.)

Big Guy found a bunch of things and showed Grandpa how if he welded together some tire rims and put a door on top it would make a great table. Hubs said that Grandpa was so impressed that he stopped and they actually built that table. Grandpa is now using that Big Guy-inspired table in his shop.

After a day of treasure hunting they all went inside for supper. FIL and MIL were asking about my baby sister and how the babies were doing. It was typical baby conversation until...

FIL: "Well, I'm glad to hear she is doing well. Do they know the sex of the babies yet?"

Hubs said at this point Little Guy's eyes got really big and he said in a firm voice... "Hey! There are children at this table!"

Hubs said he wasn't sure what was funnier. Little Guy's reaction or his Dad's automatic explanation of the XY chromosomes and splitting and fraternal/paternal twins, etc....

Yes. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Little Guy could give my FIL a run for his money if they were around much.

14 comments:

black betty said...

i remember diggin' around in my pawpaw's shop...in complete awe of the power tools and hammers and nails and wood and scrap metal. it was the coolest place ever. he would always let me help him with his projects. i'm so glad your boys were able to visit and enjoy that time with him.

GREAT post. makes me wish my pawpaw was still here...xoxo

Dr. Wifey said...

my granddaddy had the coolest "junk" in his old barn. i miss that man

mayberry said...

Heehee!

Wilson said...

He, he! Too cute!

Unknown said...

I can still smell my grandpas workshop/garage. I LOVE puttering around in there with him.

And a BIG LOL for the look that had to have been on his face when he heard the word SEX!!!!

Carrie said...

That had to be a BLAST for your guys!

And the xy chromosome stuff.... hilarious!! Remind me sometime to tell you about our sex talk with my stepson when he was 9.

Buzzard Roost Babe said...

My FIL and MIL are so special to my children ! My boys are so blessed to have them !! FIL has a massive shop too, and lets just say it is like Treasure Island to my boys.. Little Guy is full of spunk isn't he. I hope they make a fortune!

From the Doghouse said...

Now THAT'S funny!

Confessions of A Mississippi Mom said...

Gosh I loved treasure hunting in my grandfather's shed, well my dad too. My dad had the coolest stuff b/c he use to repair t.v.... so there were all kinds of gadgets to get into.

Wow you have to treasure these moment's and what a great boy to give Grandpa a present of welded tires rims LOL

I love your post :)

HEATHER said...

I used to love to help my grand-daddy. I was his shadow, and helped him build anything he was building around the house. He even had a little hammer for me to use. Excellent post!

Taylor & Krisa said...

He never ceases to crack me up!

April said...

Hey! Your header is way cute!

Sarah said...

My sons think that way about my father's stuff too--especially the quickcrete and concrete tools. The last time they were with him, they came home purposing ways to pour a new patio slab.

AM said...

that's cool!