Wednesday, November 12, 2008

WFW: Write Them On Your Doorframes

When I was growing up, the Gideons would come to our school and hand out Bibles if you wanted one. If you went to a hotel, you would always see a Bible on the nightstand. A Bible could be found in any doctor or dentist waiting room. Graduates of high school or even military boot camp would be awarded brand new Bibles for their accomplishments.

Each new school day would begin with prayer by the principal over the intercom. Football games would begin with the teams huddled around the referees saying a word of prayer over the players.

Today? Often times the only place a child will hear Scripture is when they go to Sunday School. That is one hour a week (if you are lucky). One hour to teach our children, impress on their hearts and imprint on them God's life plan.

Church is not supposed to teach our children. If you want to know the truth, I don't want church teaching my children. It is my responsibility to be the spiritual mentor for my boys. God told my husband and I to talk about Scripture -- when we sit in our house with our family and when we are in the car on the way to school or at social gatherings. We are to talk about God’s word when we lie down and when we rise — in other words, from morning to evening, all day long!

When Moses wrote and told his people to write the words on their doorposts and gates it was because they did not have book binding as we do today. The books of the Bible were written on large, cumbersome scrolls. It took 22 to 24 scrolls to hold all the words of the Old Testament alone. Since they didn’t have Bibles like we do today, God told them to write the words on the doorposts and the gates of the house.

Even still, I believe in the concept of placing God's word on the doorpost. I have Scriptures on the boy's bathroom mirror, the headboards, the refrigerator, inside their closet doors, inside my closet door, and anywhere else I think it is appropriate. Some of these Scriptures are picked to be encouraging for certain challenges or struggles that one or each of us may be going through.

It is our job as parents to hide this Word in our children's hearts so that when Jesus stands at their door and knocks, they will be willing to open it to Him.

21 comments:

Denise said...

Such a nice WFW

Anonymous said...

God bless you, Deanna. Too many people, myself included, abdicate this responsibility until it is so late in the game that the kids have to choose it for themselves. Bless you and hubs for giving your boys such a good start.

mayberry said...

Thanks for stepping on my toes today! =)

Wilson said...

What a great post! And, that's such a beautiful door photo! :)

Deanna said...

Wonder whose beautiful home that door belongs too, Sara? hee hee

Confessions of A Mississippi Mom said...

Always a good post, and is so true

Anonymous said...

What a great post! When I have children I hope to bring God's word to them daily. Your children are so lucky!

black betty said...

this was an awesome post. amen.

Chelle said...

AMEN! So true.

Melanie said...

This is great, Deanna! I love the idea of placing scripture around the house so it is always visible.

Happy WFW!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful thoughts and a beautiful photo....

I hope to one day have children and your words are worth remembering.

Blessings.

Sharon said...

You are so right, the children they learn from us adults, but they will learn more from home. They know that mom and dad know best. Great Post
Huggsss
Sharon

Laurie Ann said...

Beautiful WFW! I am so glad we are given this commandment. I grew up in a period time that brought with it the same things you referenced. Not so anymore, is it? Happy WFW!

Supermom said...

awesome, awesome post!

LauraLee Shaw said...

"It is my responsibility to be the spiritual mentor for my boys. God told my husband and I to talk about Scripture -- when we sit in our house with our family and when we are in the car on the way to school or at social gatherings. We are to talk about God’s word when we lie down and when we rise — in other words, from morning to evening, all day long!"

Wow, what wisdom and truth. Thank you!!!!

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

AMEN! I could not agree with you more, sister! I too -- do NOT want church teaching my children. that is my responsibility. The church's job is to equip the saints. (And, frankly -- when they're old enough -- the church youth group is the LAST place I want my children.)(I'll leave it at that.)
:-)
We have scripture everywhere in our house - this is our mandate as parents. You have much wisdom.

and BTW... I found a Gideon Bible at GoodWill the other day. Can you belive it??!! They're placed FREE - and yet GoodWill is trying to make $1.50!? go figure!

Happy WFW! Beautiful Door!

Kristi said...

Fantastic WFW! I agree, we need to be teaching our children Truth and not leave it up to the church. Blessings to you.

Alex said...

A very inspiring WFW! Thank you for the reminder to always have God's Word wherever we are. Blessings to you today. (btw, I love your blog design!!)

Amydeanne said...

great post Deanna. I am always learning that when I slack off and let someone "raise" my kids a bit there is a price to pay.. and I know so many people don't understand that! I'm glad you realize that!

Hugs and prayers to you my friend!

Carrie said...

Great, great GREAT post! What is with you and your reading of my mind lately?

I just realized two weeks ago, that our children will never accompany us to service at the church we go to right now (unless we require it, which I'm sure would go over well). All the kids leave for the service and do their own stuff in classrooms.

My husband realized it and didn't say anything because he liked the church, but I never thought about it because she's little and I like the services. I am sad to say that I think we will have to be finding a new church when she gets a little older.

I want to be able to talk to them about the sermon and what they got out of it, not just find out what they did in their class. I'm so sad! Wish I would have realized it earlier, but the pregnancy and new mommy cloud was thick. Now I'm involved in the church and have gotten to know a lot of the people and I will be sad to leave.

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Hi Deanna, What a great idea...we put up the alphabet posters and colors and such...this is even better (more valuable).

Warmly,
Tracey