My budget is so tight it is about to snap. I am trying everything I can to save money so I am starting Saturday Savings. I am posting everything I am trying to save money and I am hoping that you will post the things that you do to save as well.
Today's Saturday Saving Focus: Laundry
1. Wash your clothes in cold water. The clothes come out the same and it obviously saves on the electricity from heating water.
2. Think about what clothes you can dry outside. Personally, I love the way towels and sheets feel when dried outside. If you live in a neighborhood that has restrictive covenants, this may be a little difficult, but I have discovered that I can put a line up in my carport and dry items.
3. Did you know that if you shake out your clothes when you are transfer them from the washer to the dryer they will dry faster? Give it a try.
4. Fabric Softeners:
a. Cut your dryer sheets in half. Works just as well.
b. If you want to avoid buying dryer sheets all together you can make your own very easily: Dip a washcloth in liquid fabric softener, then hang it on a towel rack until dry. When you dry clothes, pop this washcloth in with the load. It can be reused a couple dozen times, then repeat the procedure. A bottle of liquid softener will last almost forever!
c. If the reason you are wanting to use fabric softeners is to prevent static, just wad up some aluminum foil and throw it in with your clothes. Static gone!
5. Go easy on the bleach. Bleach does a great job of whitening, but it also does a great job of deteriorating your clothes.
6. Before you wear dark clothes for the first time wash them in cold salt water. The salt helps set the color. To brighten dark clothes after they have been washed several times, repeat the procedure.
7. If you black clothing starts to look brown after a while, add coffee or strong tea to the rinse water.
8. Do you ever wash your washing machine? It is time. Fill it up with hot water, pour in a bottle of vinegar on the normal cycle and it will eliminate all the soap scum which will ultimately make your clothes cleaner.