Monday, September 29, 2008

Am I Out Of The Loop?

Somebody should start an email alert system if people are going to change the rules on us. First, Confessions showed up and there was no cake at the shower she went to and we were all horrified. I mean that is something that you have to prepare for before you arrive. She had me worried because I was invited to a shower this past weekend and I made sure I ate a small sandwich before I went just in case there was a new "no cake" rule. Fortunately for me, this shower was all out on the food. Not only cake, but petit fors and sandwiches, cheese straws, and mini cheese quiche.

Just when I had started to relax a little and think that maybe things hadn't gotten gone crazy, we received the birthday "package" in the mail. I refer to it as the "package" because it was about 1/2" thick and we had no idea what was in the envelope although Little Guy said he was certain it was a birthday invitation. We told him it couldn't be since birthday invitations were just a card with the date, time and place. We were wrong and he was right. This envelope contained not only the invitation, but a full two page print out of all the things that birthday child had picked out and registered for at a local store. The cheapest item on the list was $15.00.

Am I out of the loop? Is this the way people are doing birthday invitations now? My boys last two birthday parties were really laid back. They called some friends. They came over after school. We ordered pizza. They played and spent the night and just had fun. Most of the boys didn't really realize it was a birthday until we pulled out the cake. I heard Little Guy tell one of his friends on the phone, "Dude, don't bring a present. Just come to my house and play."

I know that I am very weird (and I acknowledge that!), but somehow this just seems a little over the top to send out such an list in your birthday invitation. What do you think?

21 comments:

Tommy, Suzanne, and Mary Peyton said...

i agree. good grief!

mary peyton's parties have been medium - mainly because of the number of people invited - not the whole "set up". we've had them here at home. i've done normal invitations (although i do have them printed - not the fill in the blanks ones), but not ones that cost a fortune.

i make her cake (go figure) and the kids all play outside. goldfish, some little finger stuff - nothing fancy.

but i've heard of these "over the toppers" that you're speaking of.

but seriously - a LIST? what is this? getting ready for the wedding?????

Unknown said...

Oh Good GRIEF!! That is completely rediculous - a REGISTRY???? I'm sorry, but that would just about be enough for me to keep my kid from the party!!

We always keep birthdays limited to family. I just don't have the capital to layout a big spread and not really the energy to want to deal with kids...

Tyanne said...

That is crazy, as young as my kids are they pay more attention to the box and paper than they do the actual present!! I would never send out a list of presents to choose from, to me that is in poor taste!

K Storm said...

I think that is very rude for an invitation to a birthday party to come with a gift suggestion list. I think the laid back parties are much more fun and relaxed for all. My daughter doesn't even care about presents this year...she just wants some friends to spend the night and do each other's nails.

Confessions of A Mississippi Mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Confessions of A Mississippi Mom said...

I'm horrified at this suggestion of gift list for a birthday list. Girl you are not weird, I would not give into this behavior by purchasing a selected gift for this child. ERRRR what kind of parents do this???

mayberry said...

Sounds very snobbish.

black betty said...

they registered for toys? that's weird. i think it's okay to put the child's clothing size on the invite or maybe what they're favorite thing is, but a registry? wow...that's different.

Wilson said...

That's a little over the top!

From the Doghouse said...

That's a bit out of line. We say "So, what does this kid like?" and go from there.

Carrie said...

Tacky Tacky Tacky

You should buy the kid a Miss Manners book for his birthday since he obviously isn't learning any from his mother.

Sandi said...

I read about registries for birthday parties a few months ago and thought, "Who does that??"
Apparently, some people really do! It just seems so tacky ... don't tell people what to get you for your birthday. Use registries for once-in-a-lifetime events like weddings and baby showers.
[sigh]

HEATHER said...

WOW! All I can say is WOW!!
I am stunned! That is just beyond shameless and tacky. Especially for the list to come with the prices. Almost like if you are coming to this party, here's the price of admission. YIKES!! So greedy.
I would think twice before letting my kid attend, but that's just me.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Girl, you are not out of the loop. The other people are just crazy. What is that teaching that kid, by sending out the "wish list". Give me a break. So, what happens it you don't have the money to spend $15.00 on this kid. Do you not let our child go, because he didn't buy a gift on the "list". So silly. I love that you kiddo is more realistic and down to earth. You are a good Mom!

Buzzard Roost Babe said...

Ok, I agree! Showers w/o cake ! That is just rude. Birthday parties with a letter to santa listing what you want. Acting as if everyone you invite lives at the north pole with elves making your wishes come true is a shallow way to raise a child. What happen to koolaid , cake, Ice cream, and pin the tail on the donkey. Life is as complicated as we make it. I want my kidz to realize Birthdays celebrate you life not the newest action figure or Hanna montana girly thing. God granted this life, and now some are treating Birthdays like Christ's Birthday ! A way to get more stuff. My garbage cans have been full of that broken stuff year after year. I just can't recall throwing away those memories of fun birthdays with simple koolaid , sprinklers , Homemade ice cream , and games. Those I never threw away .

Conservative Belle said...

I agree with Carrie. I think it was tacky.

That's like having a housewarming party and sending out the places you are registered to your guest. Ugh. Awful.

Deanna said...

Thanks, guys! It is good to know that if I am weird, I am in really good company. (Smile!)

Little Guy and the birthday boy have been friends since kindergarten and I want to keep it that way. I think I am just going to treat it like any other birthday... let Little Guy pick a gift out of the gift closet and let him enjoy the day.

Dr. Wifey said...

that is ridiculous! i recently saw a commercial for birthday gift registries and i though, "how tacky!"
i have heard of parents spending boo-koos of $$$ on parties too...get a grip folk, get a grip

Anonymous said...

Hi, Deanna, I tried a couple of times yesterday to comment to this post but didn't get through. So this morning I'm trying on a different computer to see if your blog hate me or if my other computer hates your blog!

Your kids' parties? Sound like the kind I would want to attend.

The birthday list thing? Bogus.

The cake thing? That's just wrong.

Anonymous said...

Whoa...I was totally unaware that kids registered for gifts now. I think the beauty of being a kid and having a party is seeing all of the random stuff you get. But that's just me.

Anonymous said...

No your not out of the loop, how incrediable rude and presumptive of the parents to send an invitation like that. I did recieve a invitation to a 1 yr old b-day party with a list of clothes, shoe sizes and toys and I though that was so tacky!