Friday, September 5, 2008

McCain's Speech

I wouldn't have wanted to be John McCain. Making the biggest speech of his life so far and he had to follow Sarah Palin's HUGE home run speech. I know that he had to be proud that she did so well and proved that he made the very right choice.

Some of my favorite parts of McCain's speech were:

I fell in love with my country when I was a prisoner in someone else’s. I loved it not just for the many comforts of life here. I loved it for its decency; for its faith in the wisdom, justice, and goodness of its people. I loved it because it was not just a place, but an idea, a cause worth fighting for.
If you find faults with our country, make it a better one. If you’re disappointed with the mistakes of government, join its ranks and work to correct them. Enlist in our Armed Forces. Become a teacher. Enter the ministry. Run for public office. Feed a hungry child. Teach an illiterate adult to read. Comfort the afflicted. Defend the rights of the oppressed. Our country will be the better, and you will be the happier. Because nothing brings greater happiness in life than to serve a cause greater than yourself.

Fight for what’s right for our country.
Fight for the ideals and character of a free people.
Fight for our children’s future.
Fight for justice and opportunity for all.
Stand up to defend our country from its enemies.
Stand up for each other; for beautiful, blessed, bountiful America.
Stand up, stand up, stand up and fight. Nothing is inevitable here. We’re Americans, and we never give up. We never quit. We never hide from history. We make history.

3 comments:

K Storm said...

You know, while this setting is not his strongest, I felt that he called for unity and refocusing in a compelling way. He made me proud to be an American and resolved any doubts I may have had before with his candidacy.

The liberal media has already been "asking the questions that need to be answered." While a plan was not clearly defined (first of all we will...and then we will...tenth we will) it wasn't really the time for specifics, just like in the democratic convention. Those points will be best brought out in debates and town hall meetings.

This should be an interesting couple of months, huh?

Carrie said...

It was definitely a hard act to follow!

I loved the first passage you quoted, but I think my favorite parts were when he was talking about his POW experience. He seemed so genuine during those parts and lost the stiffness he has when he's speaking.

I just wish the left hadn't killed the whole "fight for ______" thing. It has been so overused, but his message is a good one.

Hey! Thanks for downloading my new button! It's kind of big compared to other ones. I still can't believe how long it took me to figure out the right html...

Carrie said...

"Downloading" my button??? Apparently, I blew through a few too many brain cells last night...