Monday, September 8, 2008

Nothin Says Lovin' Like Nana and Papa

We spent the weekend with Nana and Papa.     Nothing says lovin' like being at Nana and Papa's house.     It is the perfect cure for whatever ails you.    

We got to start off by going to my nephew's swim meet.     He swims for the Northwest Rankin swim team.   We were so excited to go and cheer for him.      My parents were standing there screaming too.      That is the kind of grandparents they are.
Go, A, Go!
Our little Michael Phelps wanna be.
A and Big Guy.... Cousins and Best Friends
After the meet we headed out to the house to celebrate Little Guy's birthday.    Mom had cooked a big lunch and had a birthday cake prepared along with Mom's special rice krispie treats.    After lunch and presents and plenty of laughter, we all settled in for an afternoon of college football while the boys went to the "fun" room to play.
Big Guy slept in my old bedroom Saturday night.   I was telling them stories about growing up in that room.   That room now is my Daddy's office/computer room.     Little Guy said, "You are soooo lucky.   You had this computer and stereo in your room."       When I explained that all of that wasn't in my room growing up and that we didn't have computers, cell phones, VCR's, cable, etc...    Little Guy said, "What did you play with?   Dirt?"      I thought I was going to fall off the bed laughing!      He nearly fell off the bed when I told him about the amount of time my sisters and I DID spend playing in the dirt.    Building mud pies and making assorted things out of dirt.   
After church on Sunday I crawled up into the bed and just took a good, long nap.      Oh, it was so wonderful.     The boys were well taken care of under my parent's loving care and I was able to get some sleep.   

Thanks, Mom and Daddy.    There is nothing like coming home.      There are no great parents or grandparents on the face of the earth!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I think you just proved that you can, indeed, go home again! I loved the part about Little Guy asking if you played in dirt and then you confirmed that you did! My kids are horrified that once upon a time we didn't have remotes for the TV and you actually had to GET UP to change the channel!

I'm so glad you had a good time and got some good peaceful rest. Just what the doctor ordered!

Conservative Belle said...

LOL @ dirt! I used to look for rare gems and valuable rocks - in asphalt!

Rock collections were the bomb.

Deanna said...

Willow - Ha! Part of our exercise routine was getting up to change the channel.

Belle - We too could spend hours looking for "rare" rocks in our driveway.

Unknown said...

Oh you are so asking for a BIG dirt party one of these days!!!!!

black betty said...

not only dirt, but MUD, too! i love me some mudpies!!! LOL!!!

From the Doghouse said...

Glad you had such a good time! Wish my kids could enjoy that type of weekend.

Confessions of A Mississippi Mom said...

Sounds like they had a good time. What great parents you have!!!

Miss Mud Puddle said...

Mud is yummy!

Emily ~ Little Window Shoppe said...

I love swim meets...I was a swimmer in high school...sounds like a fun trip. :)

Deanna said...

Lizzy - My boys have dirty parties all the time. I wish I had taken a pic of the huge tool box they dug up while exploring out in the woods. They came and plopped it right in the middle of my Mom's kitchen floor. It was nasty and dirt flew everywhere.

Betty - Mudpies accessorized with twigs and leaves and rocks!

Doghouse - If it weren't for my parents, they wouldn't have weekends like these.

Confessions - I do have great parents.

Miss Mud - You is crazy.

Deanna said...

Emily - I can see lots of swim meets in my future. Little Guy was bitten by the swim bug this summer and after watching this weekend he was just begging for me to find him a swim team to join.

Webmaster said...

What a sweet birthday!! And look at that cake! :)

Deanna said...

Sandi - All my Mom's planning!

Amydeanne said...

there is nothing my kids like more than "growing up stories" lol.. going to milk it for all it's worth before they don't want to hear! lol

Anonymous said...

What a nice weekend for the kids (and you). Little Guy should feel great with so many people celebrating his birthday!

I, too, played with dirt. My family had a small restaurant and when it closed, we ended up with all kinds of dishes, cups, saucers, etc... My little friends and I used to serve up mud coffee/tea, mud soup (you get the idea), and I would dress up in my mom's old waitressing uniform, apron, and handy dandy order pad. I was good to go. (Thanks for bringing back that memory.)

Anonymous said...

What a nice weekend for the kids (and you). Little Guy should feel great with so many people celebrating his birthday!

I, too, played with dirt. My family had a small restaurant and when it closed, we ended up with all kinds of dishes, cups, saucers, etc... My little friends and I used to serve up mud coffee/tea, mud soup (you get the idea), and I would dress up in my mom's old waitressing uniform, apron, and handy dandy order pad. I was good to go. (Thanks for bringing back that memory.)

Deanna said...

Amydeanne - I like sharing growing up stories with my kids until they ask questions like, "Did you ride in a covered wagon to school?" Ha!

RT - Cool! I bet everybody wanted to play at your house. Real dishes! My forks (sticks) always broke.

Aunt Julie said...

Love the photos, and I totally agree with you. Grandparents are the best!

Deanna said...

Veggie - Sigh. I'm already homesick to see them again.

Carrie said...

You are so blessed to have great parents and have them close to you!

What a colorful and fun cake! Lucky boy!